Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pears on the egg....

Options
El Jefe
El Jefe Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
did some bone in chicken breasts and rum/brown sugar "marinated" pineapple slices on the egg tonight. on the way in to the kitchen, i noticed some pears. [p]halved and scooped, put a pat of butter, some brown sugar and cinnamon, put the on the egg (350-400, regular grid) for about 20 minutes or so until soft, rotating them every 5. delicious. [p]would have loved a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, but didn't have any.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    El Jefe,[p]It's interesting that you post this, because I almost bought some pears the other day to try them on the Egg - glad to hear they came out well.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • El Jefe
    Options
    TRex,
    one of our sales reps puts me on the Harry and David "Fruit of the Month" club every year. they send out this "flyer" with the fruits that will be coming each month, but low and behold, almost every month i get pears with a note saying "(insert fruit of the month here" was not ripe and to our standards, so we are sending you our wonderful pears".[p]i've searched the archives many times over for an idea to no avail, but finally decided to wing it. glad i did. give it a shot.

• TRex
    Options
    bananas%20on%20egg.JPG
    <p />El Jefe,[p]I think fruit on the Egg is just great, especially the mildly sweet fruit (like pineapple or a not quite ripe banana, or, in your case, pears) because the heat of the Egg really brings out a nice sweetness.[p]If you haven't already, go buy some bananas (not green but not real ripe), slice them in half lengthwise, leaving the skins on, then do exactly what you did to the pears (except I typically use Turbinado sugar). Cook them direct on an elevated grid at hot temps (I usually go above 600 dome) until the skins are peeling back (8 minutes or so). Serve them in the skins or scoop out the delicious insides and make a "banana compote" that you can pour over icecream. Bet you could do the same with pears.[p]bananas%20on%20icecream.JPG[p]Mmmmm.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • El Jefe
    Options
    TRex,
    that's a "must try". the pears were delivered today so they were still pretty firm, as well.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    TRex,[p]That has the makings for Bananas Foster written all over it![p]~thirdeye~
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TRex
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Yeah, I basically just use the same ingredients (sometimes I'll mix in a little rum or banana liquor when I'm making the compote). Yum City.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    El Jefe,
    one of the oklahoma boys did grilled pears at eggtoberfest this year.. .they were absolutely fantastic. . .

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    El Jefe,
    With either bananas, peaches or pears, I like to mix turbindo sugar, coconut flakes and pecans/walnuts chop nuts and flakes med coarse and add your favorite liquer, my case is gran marnier. Sometimes I add some bleu cheese. After the main course is cooked and the egg is being shut down, I just place the fruit on the grid and shut the puppy down. When the main course is done the dessert is ready, top with ice cream, blue berries, raspberries , the choices go on.

• El Jefe
    Options
    124_2473-vi.jpg
    <p />El Jefe,
    thought i was on to something new ;) can't wait to try y'alls. will report back.[p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Here's a yummy pear recipe,El Jefe.

[ul][li]Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese and Walnuts[/ul]
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    TRex,[p]My kids (13 and 11) LOVE my grilled bananas. I used to prepare them the same as you and cooked them on my gas grill about four minutes per side - topping them with a mixture of about equal parts butter and molasses. I've owned my Egg only about five months, and I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't cooked bananas on it yet. Your photo makes me motivated to git-r-done![p]Roudy