Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok

Options
FrankG
FrankG Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What size carbon steel two handle wok will fit in the large?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    FrankG,a 12inch twohandled wok measures 15 inches from handle to handle. Since the large BGE grill is 18 1/2 inches, this should fit fine. A 14 inch should be about the largest size possible. Unless you have arranged a way to set the wok inside a frame to hold it, you might want to consider a flatbottom wok.

[ul][li]Wok Shop[/ul]
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    FrankG,
    You might want to "ping" Sandbagger. He has made wok rings for a bunch of us here, allowing us to use standard woks on our Eggs. Wokking on the Egg is a lot of fun!

• FrankG
    Options
    Wise One,thanks.I have spoken to the lady at Wok Shop.Outdoor Home(BGE dealer in Springfield Mo) claims a 18" wok fits but I do not see how with the handles. Very confusing since I can't get my hands on one.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    FrankG,
    I have the Outdoor Home wok and I have the 18" one and it sits in the Egg just fine. The only drawback I can see is that seasoning it is a bear! But, not imposable. I have the cover and you may want to think about the 'shovel' for stirring things around in the wok. We use it two or three times a week in the summer and a couple of times a month in the winter. Prep is the key to cooking on the wok. All of you ingredients should be lined up ready to go. It all happens so quickly you don't have time to go measure out whatever. Good luck it's a lot of fun.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    FrankG, it will fit as long as the handles come straight up but I personally think that is too tight a squeeze. I would stop with a 14". My 12" measures 14-1/4" from handle to handle. I think even a 16" would be pushing it but you could (with care) bend the handles in a bit to make it fit.

• FrankG
    Options
    Sundown,does the lid close when you use the 18 inch wok?

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    FrankG,[p]Why would I want to put the lid down. All of your cooking is fast and hot in a wok. I think the longest meal I did was a whole fish and I used the wok lid for that. I've never had a reason to close the top of the Egg.