Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time making ABT's... a few questions

wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be making ABT's for the first time for a Christmas party on Friday. I have read several recipes and seen lots of pictures here of the process... this is what leads to my questions.
I have seen them made by cutting the stem end of the pepper and stuffing from the end... I have seen them cut in half lengthwise, stuffed and put back together... I have seen them cut in half lengthwise, stuffed and wrapped in bacon making two ABT's out of one pepper.
What is the preferred way? It seems that stuffed from the end makes the best sense to be able to turn while cooking. Does it get messy while cooking if you cut in half and stuff each half?
I also would like some input on whether to stuff with Lil Smokies or some pulled pork...
I know there is alot of ABT'ers here and appreciate all your help and opinions.
Oh, any pics (or links to) of prep wopuld be greatly appeciated.
wrobs

Comments

• wrobs,
    You're right, there are many ways to make an ABT. I'm sticking with the one I like best: cut the stem end off, slice in half lenghtways, clean out veins and seeds, stuff each half liberally with cream cheese, place a Little Smokey Sausage, wrap in thin-sliced bacon, and toothpick in two to three places. Cook direct at 350° with the bottom draft vent almost completely closed. Turn, flip and rotate frequently until done.[p]The multiple toothpicks make it easy to slice the ABT into small, bite-size pieces. They're a lot easier to eat that way and it prevents hot cream cheese from squirting out onto your floor.[p]I also found that if you freeze the Little Smokies they will help keep the cream cheese from boiling out so soon. After all, the only thing that needs cooking is the bacon.[p]A splash of your favorite rub seasoning is a nice touch, as is a bit of smoking wood. Mesquite does wonders for it.[p]Here's the innards of one of mine...[p]ABTInnards.jpg[p]Now I want an ABT...[p]Spring "From A Long Line Of ABT'ers" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• wrobs,
    I am personally in favor of slicing long ways to make a boat. The reason for this is that it is easier to scoop out and remove all of the jalapeno innards (sp?). Leaving the vein or seeds makes for a VERY spicy ABT.[p]I use Lil Smokies because they are easier to work with and don't have to worry about having the right amount of pulled pork to use. However, I have had ABT's with pulled pork and they were fantastic. You won't go wrong with either the PP or Lil Smokies![p]I wrap in Bacon and sprinkle lightly with sucanat (natural cane sugar) and a favorite rub (my personal plug for DizzyPigBBQ.com).[p]I have made ABT's several times using different methods. I firmly believe that this is one appetizer that is virtually idiot proof; they are difficult to screw up and ALWAYS a hit![p]Enjoy your project and please share your results with pictures, if you can. [p]Banker John

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    wrobs,
    I do mine very similar to Spring Chicken's version. Here is my technique : [p]Ingredients:[p]12 Jalapeno's - fresh 2 -3 inches each
    1 8 ounce pack of Cream Cheese
    1 lb. Bacon (may not use all)
    1 pack Smoked Cocktail Wieners
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub[p]Preparation Directions:[p]Wash, remove stems and half jalapeno's lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).
    Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, top with a cocktail wiener and sprinkle with some Dizzy rub. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure the loose end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amout of Dizzy rub all over the surface of the bacon. Place ABT's on a rack over a drip pan.[p]Cooking Directions:[p]Stabilize BGE at 350 degrees. Place 2 or 3 fist sized chunks of hickory (or applewood) on the coals. Place drip pan and rack of ABT's on a raised grid and cook for about 40 minutes. Turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon and cook for an additional 20 minutes.[p]

• wrobs
    Spring Chicken,
    Maaan, maybe I shouldn't have asked for pics! Those look good. Do you typically cut into 1/3's? I plan to make a pretty good amount since there will be 30-40 people at the party.
    I am leaning on this method but may try a few "boat" style as Egret mentioned.
    Thanks an ABT!
    wrobs

• wrobs
    Banker John,
    I might try the boat method along with Spring Chicken's method to get a preference. I can't wait to try 'em cuz I love Jalapenos (with the seeds!)
    Thanks for your input,
    wrobs

• wrobs
    egret,
    I will likely use this method and also try a few "boat" style. Do you cut yours into smaller pieces when serving or leave whole? Do you use regular bacon and not the thick sliced?
    TIA,
    wrobs

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    wrobs,[p]I think all the recipes posted so far look very good. There will be more favorites to come too.[p]Not trying to be a smart a$$, but before you serve barbecue to a house full of guests or the preachers wife...practice, practice, practice.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • wrobs
    Hey thirdeye,
    Funny how you mentioned the "preachers wife"... this party is a Sunday School class...LOL.
    As far as serving BBQ... we just cooked 115 Boston Butts last weekend... 5am Saturday to 4am Sunday... for our church. We presold 104 butts and sold the other 10 within minutes when we opened the cooler and started handing them out.
    We also have a mens retreat every January where we camp at the lake for the weekend and if these guys can handle my hog breath chili, ABT's will be like eating candy.
    BTW, I imagine there will be a few cold beverages close by...LOL
    On a seconfd note... I found a 4lb. Boston Butt that I deboned and have it "curing" as we speak using the HM jerky cure. I will flip it on Friday and smoke it next weekend. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all your help.
    wrobs

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    wrobs,[p]Always like to hear stories that start off with "we cooked 11 cases of butts last weekend..." I wish I could have been there.[p]I'll be interested in hearing about the Buckboard.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egret
    wrobs,
    I cut them into 3 pieces....good bite-size. Don't use the thick sliced!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    wrobs,
    if they are for myself, i cut 2/3 way across the stem side like im cutting it off, but not all the way thru. this holds the cheese in when cooking big overstuffed peppers, and then slit thru just one side to stuff it. when im making them for me i like the whole pepper
    when making a lot, i just halve them, leaving the stem on, guests can hold it from that side and dispose it later. the trick with making a lot is to get a system going, or it takes a long time. wear rubber gloves and keep them wet as the cream cheese wont stick to wet gloves when stuffing them. i stretch out thin bacon and wrap without tooth picks and dont turn the peppers when on the grill. i like grilled itallian sausage as a stuffing over other things like pulled pork or smokeys, but its good to experiment, and use what you have, videllas with the cheese was good, so anything can work.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wrobs,
    Thanks... They are delicious. But almost all ABT's are delicious.[p]I cut mine in two's or three's depending on the size of the jalapeno. I just try to keep it "bite size." Inserting the toothpicks in advance just makes it easier to cut and serve them.[p]With all the suggestions from other Eggers, you will have lots to experiment on. And you will probably want to do your own thing sooner or later. When you do, let us know how they turned out.[p]Spring "Rise & Shine" Chicken

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning wrobs:[p]The link below is about a batch I made for Super Bowl appetizers last year. It shows the ingredients (some of those I stuffed with shrimp). I usually make the "2 for 1" type (split in half lengthwise). I also normally don't use a toothpick as I have found that bacon holds together well enough. HTH[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

[ul][li]Super Bowl ABTs[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    wrobs,
    I remove the stem, slice in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds, fill each half with cream cheese and a whole shrimp, wrap with a thin slice of bacon, sprinkle with DPs Raging River, and cook 1 hour indirect on a raised grid at 350. -RP

• wrobs,
    I have had Egret's ABT's and they are some of the best I have tried! Do his recipe EXACTLY and you will not be dissapointed. Enjoy! - Banker John[p]Egret, you going to make it to the Florida Eggfest in March?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    IMG_1288.jpg
    <p />wrobs,
    personally I much prefer the one boat size and use a toothpick to hold while nibbling. It's the blend of all the contents plus the pepper itself.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    Thank you, John, for the compliment. I wouldn't miss it for the world......I just ran across this post from you, so it may be too far down the line for you to pick up.....