Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the EGG (firestarter placement)

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed there have been several questions with regards to "lighting" the cooker in the past....[p]Now in some cases it really "does" matter how you light it and in some it does NOT.I don`t mean the method in terms of under the trivet or above the trivet but more like "placement" of the fire starters.[p]I find that for a high temp thermo cook it`s not as important because the coals will catch and spread pretty quick with the rush of air coming in but more so for chicken wings,burgers, steaks and even beef jerky....[p]I find that one firestarter is fine for slow things like jerky but for times when you have a grate full of meat it`s more important that you have an even bed of embers as opposed to hot and cold sides causing the need for "revolving" your stock so to speak.
In that case three or even four might be needed......
Any thoughts on this????[p]Mop! [p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mop,
    You stated my theory exactly. Nicely worded. I like 1 small piece of firestarter for lo/slows or indirect cooks, and 3 small pieces for direct cooks.[p]Enjoy! and GO TERPS!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Mop,
    For low and slo cooks I put the fire starters on top and let the fire burn down. For high temp cooks I put 1 starter under my diamond mesh grate, leave the dome open and let it start to roar.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Mop:[p]I just use one centrally placed fire starter for all fires. Dampened down for low and slow and vents wide open for higher temperature fires. As the fire starts to rise I then damper to the desired temperature. Several starters placed about the lump will get the fire up there quicker, but takes away from the romance of charcoal cooking for me.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yo Darryl,
    Any chances of you makin' the eggfest up this way next month? Fire up that 'stang, and hightail it up here.
    This is gonna be a dooooozy.
    Best to you, Luc and the family.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    djm5x9, I kinda feel the same way..:-) Just not my day today cause I cannot debate ya...! Everyone has a start up favorite...like ribs..:-)
    By the way..I wonder if.....nay.. I will post it later Happy St. Pats day to all the Mc's out there..
    C~W

• djm5x9
    Char-Woody:[p]Same to ya me lad . . . I ya got some green in ya somewhere!

• djm5x9
    Chris:[p]I would really like to be there this year but not certain of the work load at that time. If I do it will be a last minute dash up I-85. Got my fingers crossed.[p]Regardless, for all you other folks that can, there is nothing like being at one of these eggfests. The forums are great but so much more information is picked up in conversation and with the eye . . .

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    djm5x9, only when I turn green with envy! Like seeing GFW twitchin toes in that black sand on some tropical island (Aruba?).
    He must own oil stocks..!!
    C~W