Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Fattening Snack Fer Ya!

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All:
Over on the new Canadian BBQ forum picked up a nice little snack idea that I can't remember having seen posted here in the year or so I've been around: smoked green olives. A fella named Reg gave me the idea of trying these slyly seductive babies a month or so ago and now I'm buying 5lb cannisters of olives! Here's the scoop; go for larger size olives, unstuffed, queens or colossals, strain the juice off, dump into an aluminum try or whatever works for you. Give a good jolt of smoke (he recommends apple, which I used to good effect), and let smoke away at 180-225, shuffling the pan every so often, for a good couple hours, preferrably indirect (if going direct, aim for the lower temp and shuffle more often to prevent sticking/buring). Do this til olives are shrivelled up a bit and salt from brine makes for a slight white, powdery coating on the outside. Eat em up warm or cold. I love em warm, and peanuts have nothing on these guys for addictive qualities! First one, you'll say 'Gee, that's different, not really sure if I like it or not'. After the 20th, you'll say, 'Why didn't I buy the large jar?' Guar-on-teed.....
BBQfan1

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    BBQfan1, I wonder if they would go good with cold beer?[p]Mop!.....~~~~~~(:

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BBQfan1, good one. I wonder if this might help a bit. I really wanted to keep this a secret and never let it out cause its a good one..Only YB and I are privy to it. But there is a basket out there on the shelf that is about 17" in diameter fine meshed, with 2" lip edges on it, also mesh wire, and handles to boot..Just super fine for Jerky and veggies...Don't tell anyone about it and I will share it with ya..you can check em out in Wally Worlds Wunderful Wicked Grill stuff. Only one size tho..and thats a shame for the smaller grilles...But they won't know about it anyway if we don't tell....heeeeeyaaaaaaa.
    Cheers to ya...and thanks..
    C~W[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    BBQfan1:[p]Let me know how you like the smoked Greek olives . . .

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Mop, I never thought of that! Will have to check that out some time! ;)
    Qfan

• Mop
    Options
    BBQfan1, Ya, thats not something I would have thought of either but it just sort of "popped" out at me.....
    Doesn`t really matter......I don`t drink "anymore"
    :)~[p]Mop!

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I couldn't help overhearing the wispering to BBQfan1 about the mesh basket. I haven't seen it yet, but do you invert it and lay the jerky on top of the "dome" so to speak?. Or, do you place the jerky in the "bowl" with the bottom being closer to the coals?[p]Carl T
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Carl T, Ssshhhhhh...but I think you can heap and stir it just sitting on top of the raised grill. Old Man GFW likes to heap and stir..Just switch to the basket. I will tell ya the name on the basket..(Brinkman Smokeshop) It has 1/4" mesh and super for salmon, veggies, Jerky, shrimp, and I bet ya even oyster and clams..Pricey tho for 12 bucks..
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Mop,[p]or any less for that matter . hahaha reg
  • Mop
    Options
    reg,, at a boy, I knew if anyone would have caught that one it would have been you, ya son of a gun.........Hey, have you made your way to camp 31 yet![p]If we do the first sat in april, do you think you can make it?[p]Mop!