Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

learning curve

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
Guess I'm going through the learning curve, tried boneless chicken breast but the phone rang just as I thought they were about done and they got burned. (I still ate them)
Next night a porterhouse steak, a little better but still to black. Think I will try plain hamburgers. Oh, will we always need a shower after we cook??? Just wondering. I will continue the battle, thanks to all.
New Bob ~. .~
^

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    New Bob,
    Give us some temps that you cooked the chicken and steak as well as the time duration. Then we can jump in with what you are looking for in the way of assistance.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    Like JJ said, some more info would be helpful for us to assist. Me thinks you might be screwing with it too much. The more you open the lid, the more out of control the fire gets....and the smokier your clothes and hair gets. Get your temps stabilized. Put on your meat, and don't open until you are ready to flip. Get your flipping done quickly and close the lid again.[p]Some thoughts. Go Terps.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    New Bob, just curious have you checked the calibration of your dome thermometer lately? You might be cooking hotter than you realize.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    The chicken was my fault because of the phone call, next time I won't answer it. (Food first) The steak was 3min.@600, fliped and left for about 3 and then shut vents and left for about 5min. The fliped side was much darker then the first side down. Any advice for my burgers??????
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• JJ
    Options
    New Bob,
    What will be the thickness of the burgers? That will determine cooking times.

• Bordello
    Options
    JJ,
    About 1" unless you want me to make them thicker. Just trying to get the feel of it.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• JJ
    Options
    New Bob ,
    Thicker is better. Easier to control the cook. 11/2" or so try 500-550* for 3 min per side and a dwell of about 2 mkin for a med burger. If you like bleu cheese then stuff some into the middle of the patty. I usually make 2 patties place the bleu cheese in the middle of on place the other patty on top and mold the sides together. Your steak may have been a little on the thin side for the cooking times you described.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob ,
    I like them 5-6 minutes a side at a stabilized 425-450. Then lay on a slice of onion, some Q sauce, and your cheese (if desired), and shut vents and dwell until cheese is melted (4-5 more minutes). Leave the egg closed except when flipping.[p]CW got me started on a smilar version, and it works.
    Good luck pal.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    New Bob ,
    I like my steaks a bit on the rare side. So, for a 1 1/4-inch-thick ribeye at 600 +/-, I like 2 minutes 45 seconds on each side and then take them off and let them rest for 5 minutes while I get the last minute things on the table. I do the same for burgers a little more than 3/4 inches thick.
    JimW[p]