Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guava wood

Options
Young Gun
Young Gun Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any one use guava wood before? Any tips for use with the BGE. Also has anyone used it in a cookoff. How do you think it helped or hurt you.

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Young Gun,[p]I use it all the time. It's really good with chicken & pork. I don't compete so I can't help there - but I do know that people are impressed when you say thats what you used! :)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Young Gun,
    I use guava wood for just about everything. Sometimes alone, sometimes with cherry or apple. Depends on what I happen to have at the time. It's all good.

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    Young Gun, We use Guava now and then. Nice mellow smoke. Great on Chix. Steve.

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Young Gun,[p]It's my number one choice for flavoring. It's sweet like hickory, but has a tanginess that no one can ever identify. I get more compliments on guava smoked ribs than anything else. I don't compete, but I do judge and I have yet to taste it in a turn-in box. I use it enough that I am pretty sure I would recognize it.
  • Young Gun
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I dont Know where you Judge but you might taste it in a box some time soon. I will be making an order this weekend to give it a try. I compete in IBCA, some KCBS and I am starting to do more and more MIM contest. Maybe I will meet up with you somewhere on the smokin trail.

• SuperDave
    Options
    Young Gun,[p] I ordered a box of Guava from Guava Greg Kemp before I got my egg.... it was the first wood I used for flavoring in my egg.[p] I love it with chicken legs, wings or thighs also it is great on Baby Backs... give it a try, you'll love it!