Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Chutney

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used Chutney of various flavors in roast or poultry? A friend gave me a pint of peach and raisin chutney and it looks like a good fill for a pork loin, or even a lamb roast. Any ideas/recipes I can use for it?
C~W

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    You have suggested your own recipe in your post. You could simply replace the fillings in Mr. Toad’s Pork Loin with Chutney. Give it a try and let us know.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I've used different chutneys in Pork Loins quite a bit, in fact I think that there is a recipe I submitted in the submitted recipe section, I'll check here in a bit.[p]I take a pork loin (not tenderlion) and fillet it open like a jellyroll. This takes a bit of doing to get it nice and thin but its worth it. Then, I smear the chutney on teh loin and roll it all back up jelly roll style. I tie it with a few strands of butchers twine to hold it all together and voila, chutney rolled pork loin. I also smear the outside of the loin with some olive oil and sprinkle some misc. spices on it or make a paste of olive oil and spices and rub it onto the loin before cooking.[p]I cook mine direct, seems like indirect just doesnt get a bark on the meat and it seems mushy to me. I like the outer crust a bit firmer. Times escape me now, I would guess about 2 hours at 350, turning occasionally.[p]Good luck with it, chutney in a pork loin is good stuff.[p]Troy[p]PS - link for some apricot chutney is included
    [ul][li]Apricot Chutney Recipe[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Why not butterfly a bird, break the two membranes on each side under the skin, and stuff the bird under the skin and against the meat? I've been really enjoying playing with the possibilities of stuffing birds this way.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, Hey,,I shoulda looked..Thanks to both you and Rhum&Jerk...I will use it.
    Cheers..C~W

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, hey, that's another good suggestion..fruits and poultry are a good mix..Maybe crush some pecans with it. Hmmmmm. And BTW..its about time you showed up. I was about ready to take Sue up on her 4 year old offer. :-)
    First I do a loin..the I get the bird...one way or another..heeeyaa.
    Cheers to ya!! [p]