Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time and Temp for NY Strip

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm gettin' ready to cook up a couple of steaks and was wondering what time and temp ya'll (southern proper) would recommend? They are NY Strips, not too thick, marinating in a simple salt, fresh ground black paper, and fresh lime juice marinade.[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Mike Bowen,
    If 3/4" or so 550-600* 3 min per side and 2 dwell for medium. Adjust up or down on dwell for rarer or more done.

• JJ,
    Thanks. Just finsihed eating and your numbers were dead on. Unfortunately, the marinade was not. I was going for something a little more subtle than our usual. Something that would let you taste the steak and the seasoning and the hint of smoke from the charcoal. To quote my wife, "it tastes like meat." So much for subtle.[p]Guess it is back to Dales or Montral Steak seasonoing....[p]Thanks,
    Mike

• JJ
    Mike Bowen,
    Just a week or so back Spin and char buddy talked about clarified butter or ghee brushed on a steak made a fantastic flavor. Look it up and give a try. That just might be what you are looking for in a taste.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mike Bowen, I know this has been a hundred times. When I want a different flavor I go for Italian Dressing overnight, Char Crust, or (and it takes a little bit of bacon) but place bacon strips on top of the KC Strips and cook and turn steaks and bacon at same time. I guess what I mean is bacon strips always go on top. It is hard to get a hold of but great.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mike Bowen,
    Like JJ mentioned, the Ghee might be what you are looking for. If your wife likes a little bite, try a plain yellow mustard slather, and a coating of Hickory Molasses Char Crust before the cook. Cook as you did. Very tasty.
    cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Mike,[p]A good cut like NY strip doesn't need much. I usually them in olive iol, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder a couple of hours before grilling. They always turn out great that way.[p]If you use Montreal Steak seasoning, remember that a little goes a long way. Too much will make your steak too salty. Just sprinkle a little bit on each side and rub it in (and I find that olive oil also helps with Montreal Steak seasoning). Keep trying - you're on your way to cooking some amazing steaks!
  • JJ,
    hey jj i've got a couple of stripes that our a 11/2 maybe 2 inch thick that i plan to try tommrow. i like them med. rare . what kind of time on those boy's??? thanks mike k

• JJ
    mike k,
    Hi Mike, Go for 6 min per side at 550-600* (2") and dwell for about 4 min for med. Or send them to me to experiment with. hehe Enjoy

• BluesnBBQ,
    That marinade sounds good, I think I will try that next time. The Montreal SS is ok, like others have said it is pretty strong and is easy to overdo. I am just looking for something different to try and your recipe seems simple yet tastey. Hey, how can you go wrong with olive oil and garlic in the mix?[p]Mike

• Nature Boy,
    Apparently plain yellow mustard is the glue that holds all good seasonings to meat. I have read here about using it on ribs and roasts, but this is the first time I have hear of using it on steaks. I have yet to use a mustard slather on anything, but I am just going to have to try it out soon. It sounds a bit strange to me, but I am willing to try anything once (twice if it feels good).[p]Later,
    Mike[p]

• Nature Boy
    Mike Bowen,
    There have been doubters....and many have been converted! The mustard not only holds the rub, and helps a bit with penetration, but it makes a realy nice crust, and you can't really taste the mustard. Sometimes the color of the finished steak has a yellowish tint though....the only disadvantage. The Char crust also works well without mustard (just a spraying of olive oil).[p]I slather a fish, chops, boneless chicken breasts, and steaks with the yellow stuff often. Also butts, briskets and ribs get the treatment half the time. Maybe it is just me, but I love what it does for me. Sounds like a toyota ad![p]Best of luck getting what you (or the missuz) is looking for.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JJ,
    I saw that one. I tell you I have learned more lurking here in the last several months than I ever could have imagined. While this cook may not have been a great success, the chops I did the first night I had my cooker were excellent.[p]As a test, the next cook I cooked a couple of burgers on the cooker as well as a couple on my w***r gas grill. I'm sure you guys aren't surprised, but the wifey said she liked the non-gased burgers better.[p]Anyway, I think my investment has been worth it. I have had some challenges getting the fire going but I think that part of my problem has been damp lump from all the rain lately. I don't have a cover, just the rain cap and it might be letting some moisture in.[p]Anyway, I am having fun and keep looking forward to the next thing to try. Next up on the cooking list are probably some bbq chicken wings and thighs. When I get ready to do those, you can bet i'll be asking for more advice![p]Mike

• Nature Boy,
    It's not that I doubt it really, just that until I started reading here, I have never heard of it. The thing is I LOVE mustard, all kinds. I don't doubt I will like it at all.[p]Seems to me that this might make a nice crispy, tangy skin for a whole roasted chicken. Ever do one like that? I got one of those Willie chicken sitters and am ready to try it out on a whole bird.[p]Mike

• Nature Boy
    Mike Bowen,
    Have not heard of rubbing a whole bird in mustard, but why the hell not? Lewis and Clarke didn't worry that few had been there before!
    Explore on....and keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Car Wash Mike,
    That bacon on the top is a new one on me. Does it really add much flavor? I know they put bacon around a filet mignon, but I always thought it was just to keep the meat moist since it was such a lean cut. Of course, with the bacon on top of the strip, the rendered fat would stay in contact with the meat longer. When you do the bacon thing, what other seasonings or marinade do you use?[p]Thanks,
    Mike[p]

• Nature Boy,
    This is more like a chat room tonight. I don't think I've even seen questions asked and answered so qickly.[p]Mike[p]

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Mike Bowen,One of the least expensive and most useful accesories that you can buy is a gas vent cap for your egg. Take your daisy wheel metal top with you to any building supply store to ensure a proper fit. Using the vent cap when it is raining or just sprinkling will keep moisture out and enable you to enjoy using your egg alot more than just when the weather is perfect.

• Nature Boy
    Mike Bowen,
    If you select "last 25 posts", the list updates automatically every minute or so. Sitting here at my 'puter watchin some BBall madness. [p]Have a good one.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Nature Boy,you still have to push refresh though don`t you?[p]Mop!

• Nature Boy
    Mop,
    Nope. I just read the top area of that page. It says "this page will automatically update every 2 minutes". Try it.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Nature Boy, lol, I too read it AFTER I posted you....
    thanks..
    Mop!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mike Bowen, Usually just salt and pepper. I always let my steaks sit out an hour at room temperature and spray with extra virgin olive oil before cooking. [p]CWM