Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Thoughts on Fresh Ham?

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of doing a fresh ham for Christmas since we're turkeyed out and my monther in law has issues with cured ham. I checked one out in the buther shop yesterday (also picked up an Angus brisket to wet age until Christmas) and dang that thing is big! Anyone cook one of those beasts on a large? Any recommendations or experiences (good and bad) to share?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Did a fresh ham a few years ago and my only take on the subject is treat it like a roast. The one I had didn't have a lot of fat and wa very lean. if I remember we cooked at 350º till the interior temp reached about 160º. Sliced it and enjoyed it very much. Don't expect anything like you get in the market that's fully cooked.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Sundown,
    Only tried one, and I wasn't thrilled with the results. I failed because I cooked it at low temps, and it's way too lean to do that.... but that was early in my eggsperience. [p]Treating it like a roast is good advice.... but it's hard to smoke at 350°.[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]
    PS Doing a large, bone in prime rib will make points.... and they are always on sale around the holidays! They are relatively easy to cook...... ;>[p]Mike in MN