Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primerib Roast....thirdeye

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey thirdeye..question on an earlier thread on bone in prime rib roast. your picture showed a raised grate for your recipe. why the raised grate?? will the roast crust get too thick on the lower rack at the same temp?? thanks.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    e41fd3cc.jpg
    <p />Genew,[p]Actually, my reasoning was to get the meat into the zone that is the farthest away from the coals, in this case I have raised the main grate by using a sandbagger style ring then added my grate extender, giving me about 13” from the coals to the grate. One reason is to just about eliminate any chance of a flare-up but the main reason is flavor and control of the finished product. [p]One of the pits I grew up around was a masonry outfit which had a grate that sat about 24” inches above the coals. There is just something magic about barbecuing directly over coals at greater distances and smelling the fats dripping into the coals which in turn flavor the meat.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    thirdeye,
    May I ask where the old home place is located? Can't tell for sure but looks like a live oak. We had a bunch of oaks around Brownwood where I was raised.
    Thx
    Dan

• thirdeye, Do you used the raised grate primarily for roasts or do you use it for steaks also?? Thanks for the info as I am getting used to my new BGE.

• thirdeye
    Options
    e3e23ddf.jpg
    <p />DTM,[p]You have a keen eye, the ranch was west of Beeville near the Bee/Live Oak county line. Here is another pic. I'm the one in the suspenders.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    832900ae.jpg
    <p />genew,[p]I do steaks the regular way or go the other direction and cook for 1 turn on a little grate on top of the coals, rest and finish on the regular grate, sorta T-Rex style.[p]In addition to some roasts, I use a raised grate for all chicken, sausage links and usually for pork steaks (from the shoulder), especially if I cut them nice and thick.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DTM
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Prob too late before archiving.
    Anyway did you ever hear of a Gardner family?
    Fly boys and crop dusters. Moved to my home town.
    My first job out by Van Horn..flagging for crop dusters.
    Really bad, of course that was before I spent time in Baggs
    working the patch.
    Dan

• thirdeye
    Options
    DTM,[p]Don't recall any Gardners. Baggs has not changed, you would still recognize the intersection.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DTM
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Hallitburton...or independent?
    Wow..brings back a time in Gillette...never regained any feeling in the end of my right....finger.
    Not there..WY... but I wish I could go back on a floor and throw chain.
    OFT
    Dan

• thirdeye
    Options
    DTM,[p]There are so many players in the patch during this boom it's impossible to keep track of them. Independents, domestic & Canadian companies are drilling everything they can. Royalty and bonus payments are staggering. Heck even green floor hands are starting at 75K a year. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~