Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Choppers: Kinda Dry (?)

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Couple of nights ago, put on some boneless pork chops I picked up at Sam's Club, that were about an inch thick. They'd been rubbed for 24 hours in a nice chipotle based dry rub powder, and I plopped them on the Egg over a 600 degree dome temp. 4 minutes on the first side, 4 minutes on the next, and then dwelled for about 5 minutes, after I brushed on some Rum-based BBQ sauce bought during a shopping trip on Grand Cayman Island, during the Carnival cruise of a year a half ago (the wife said to start using some of these bottled sauces that are taking up cabinet space)--Anyway, they were not as juicy and moist as lamb chops, or steaks I have done on the Egg, and wondered if I should have marinated them (being boneless), and/or have done a brine on them? Should I start brining them? Cook 'em lower heat-wise and/or less time? Just buy pork chops on the bone? Thank you guys and gals!!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Murth, Change up on the cooking temperatures and see if that gets em closer to your liking. Some like them at 400F degrees and increase the time. Brining has been reported to be a assist in softening and moisture retention in the meat. Worth trying also. I have done that (brining), but at the time I didn't think it was of great benefit for chops.
    I am going to try something unique in chops soon. Might fit what your looking for.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Murth,[p]I do boneless chops often. They are not actual pork chops like the type with a bone and laced with marbled fat, they are actually cut from the pork loin which is very lean. Lean cuts I sear and these are no exception, I cook them just like a filet mignon steak (since they are the same cut but from a pig not a cow). I am pretty sure they were dry based on the temps and times mentioned. The problem, I think, was the thickness of 1". I am a believer in 1.5" min to 2" thickness is better for egg'ing since it won't over cook the center as easily. Your times/temp sounds about what I do for my 2" chops, but I always test for doneness with a thermometer to be sure, and I remove them when they hit the magic temp - not just by time alone since. [p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Big Murth,
    Like the othes have metioned, chops are tempermental. For that matter, so are chicken breasts, and other very lean meat. I did not see the others recommend checking the internal temp. Maybe it is cheating, but I check the temp of the meat everytime I cook chops or breasts. That is the only way I can get consistently good results.[p]Lots of ways to cook them, but pulling them off at 145 will give you moist and tender chops almost everytime. Going strictly by timing is risky. [p]Couldn't hurt to brine them. Spice Cooks "thick chops" recipe is a winner if you do. A nice flavor, and a bit of protection if you do happen to overcook.[p]My opinion anywho.
    Great day to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks to you and Tim M, and Char Woody for sharing your thoughts. I've never brined anything yet, so the remaining chops in the freezer, will get the treatment, plus benefit from all of your pearls. By the way, anyone try my Puerco Adobo recipe for Pork Tenderloins yet?
    Thanks Again!!!

• Big Murth,
    I don't know if anyone will see this post this far back but if you do then brining is one and only way to go. It will make the chops so juicy that you will wonder what you did before you started to use brine. Try it, you'll like it!