Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked chicken

Smokin Sam
Smokin Sam Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hey guys i want to smoke some chicken to pull for sandwiches at a christmas party. new to the egg world, please help!

Comments

• Theo
    Theo Posts: 9
    smokinsam,[p]I've tried smoking chicken a few times at 250 deg - indirect for 4-5 hrs. I have not been satisfied and threw it out both times.[p]I want to try direct instead of indirect and see how that works.[p]If you haven't done it, spatchcock chicken is the way to go.
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    smokinsam,[p]I make 'em all the time. I do them indirect on a vertical roaster at about 325 until they are 180 in the thigh. You really want to go light on the smoke - they absorb a lot and can taste pretty nasty if you overdo it. I like to use either cherry or guava for the wood.
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    smokinsam,[p]325 indirect sounds more like a normal cook rather than "smoking". [p]I have done several chickens in the 4 lbs. range. they take about 6 hours at 250 indirect.[p]I sort of agree with Theo. Although mine were good, they don't touch a beer butt or spatchcocked.[p]Either way, fun none the less.[p]Mick

• smokinsam,
    Melissa set up and temp is great however I like more smoke hickory, pecan, oak.
    good luck
    bobby

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    smokinsam,do whole chickens on a regular basis. I try to get about 4lbs, birds. Wash and pat dry. Let set at room temp a few min. Smear light coating of mayo or olive oil over bird and season. I cook at250/275 for about two hours or till it reaches about 165/170 in thigh. Pull, double wrap in foil, and stick in a small cooler, filling extra space with newspaper. Let set at least 30 min. Have held several hours on road trips.
    Done two this week for my wife to do lunch at new job. They all wanted to know where she bought them and then how I cooked them.
    I call this the Kiss chicken, Keep it simple Sam.[p]Hope this helps,
    Poppasam

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Poppasam,[p]I'm not sure why anyone would cook a chicken any other way. From a beercan chicken to a spatchcock whenever any new is visiting they rave about "how wonderful" the smoked chicken is and I seldom use any chips or chunks it's just the smoke from the lump. There's a lot to be said for KISS!