Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong ????

Options
Jimbob
Jimbob Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked ribs tonight using the 3-1-1 method as I usually do. Tonight the ribs came out a little tougher and drier than ever before. Could it have anything to do with the 30° temps. that we are having. Any other ideas what went wrong?? I had the dome temp. at 250°.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Jimbob,
    humitity at 30 is pretty low, are you sure the thermo is correct?

• Jimbob
    Options
    tach18k,[p]I checked it not long ago, plus I had a BBQ GURU hooked up to it.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jimbob, one of the first times I cooked ribs I tried to follow the 3-1-1 method and mine came out dry and tough as nails. I read and read and finally tried it again exactly the same way (at least as exactly as I could remember) and they came out great. Since then they have done fine. I wonder if sometimes you get ahold of some just plain dry ribs.

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    Jimbob,
    Were these ribs by chance "previously frozen"? I found a great deal on baby backs a while back and stocked up. The first cook with the fresh ribs in a 3-1-1 recipe was fantastic! The next cook, I took two sister slabs from the freezer, thawed and smoked in the same 3-1-1 manner. They were good, but noticeably dryer and tougher than the fresh ribs. I'll buy "fresh only" from now on.
    Maybe this was your issue?[p]Scott

• Jimbob
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    Yeah they were frozen. But I have used frozen ribs before and they came out ok.

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    Jimbob,
    what was the temp of the ribs when you pulled them? you might have had a higher internal rib temp before you put them on making them a faster cook. [p] by the way, i always buy lots of ribs at one time due to living 40 miles from town and freeze all of them. if froze right they will be just as good as "fresh".

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jimbob,
    The "3-1-1" is merely a guideline....I certainly hope you dont expect every piece of meat you cook to cook exactly the same as the last one....We cook meats till they are "done" and done to our liking....wether that takes 30 minutes or 30 hours..it`s done, when it`s done...not when the timer goes ding...[p]Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WessB,
    Just re-read my post and wanted to say...I was NOT trying to be mean or nasty..as it could read that way..[p]Wess

• Lucky Duck
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    It seems to me that the humidity, though relatively high may add to the problem. At 30* there will be little humidity in the air, so this could effect the meat. The air at 30* will not hold much moisture (grains per cu/ft)because of the low dew point at that temp. Even w/ a high relative humidity, the air at 30* will be VERY VERY dry. As the air warms in D'egg, the relative humidity will fall to next to almost nothing. To fill the void between what the air actually has in humidity , and what it could hold, will be taken from anywhere it can, (called vapor pressure). The only available moisture source is the meat. [p]And this is the condenced version![p]Phil, D' Refrigeration pipefitter Duck