Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mopping

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie or not I aint mopping up after you eggsperts....
seriously tho..I got the basic idea of moping down, as in a baste of sorts with vinegar or cider or the likes. I have only seen a few posts here talking about it. Whats the opinions of this process, as in never on certain things..never with rubs..never with mustard. I understand that the vinegar is sposed to tenderize in some way. Is this something that is just not neeeded on the egg or not a common practice. Also is spraying with a citrus juice or cider considered to be a form of mopping. Are there any secret mop recipes that should be pointed out...I think you get the idea where I am going here, and as a newbie who is asking I`m sure that the responses will be beneficial to others as well...Sorry to be so long winded, but am trying to prompt as much response as possible for everyones benefit.[p]Wess

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Wess,[p]A mop is a baste used in barbecue. I think they were originally used by people who barbecued in pits that could potentially dry the meat they were cooking. I sometimes use a mop with Egg cooking, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. A cut of meat like Boston Butt, with lots of internal fat, is not going to dry out, but a mop could help with the flavor. [p]The book "Smoke And Spice" discusses whether or not you should mop, and has several mop recipes.

• BluesnBBQ,
    I have that book as well and I think you are correct about the use of a mop in general smoking. I believe the main idea is to keep the meat from drying out during that long slow cook. It will impart some flavor as well, but I really think the main goal is to keep it moist.[p]Since I just got my cooker, I haven't had a chance to smoke anything yet, just grill. I am interested to see the difference between this and my old NBBD will be as far as ease of use, taste, and texture. I hope to give it a try this weekend if the weather holds.[p]Mike

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Mike Bowen, Have you done the Britu on your NBBD?

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    WessB, Hi to you. I use my large egg for mostly low and slow cooking because that was what I bought it for. ;) I don't mop briskets, butts, and the like because I don't think it makes much difference. You can get a better crust (bark) I think but thats about all. I have sprayed ribs with apple juice during the cook (and also I've poured beer over them like TimM ;)) and they're always good. But they are also good without the extra liquid, so I guess you can do it if tastes better to you, but my wife has never once commented about noticing "something" extra about the flavor when I have mopped.
    However when cooking hams I've basted them with honey, orange juice, pineapple juice, brown sugar, pear nectar, and that made a really nice glaze on it. but thats different :)
    Hope this rambling helps,
    ChefRD[p]

• Mop,
    Are you refering to the Best Ribs in The Universe?
    http://www.randyq.addr.com/recipes/britu.html[p]To be honest, I didn't use my NBBD all that much. I want to smoke, but I'm lazy and that thing just takes a lot of loving to get it to do what you want. I was fiddling with the fire every 20 minutes and I just got burnt out on it (ok, bad pun). I actually don't mind spending time cooking, but the NBBD required me to block of 5 hours during which I couldn't do much of anything else. Of course, the problem could have just been me, but I already admitted to being lazy. ;-)[p]I did mostly chicken, split in halves usually. I tried ribs several times and only once did they come out what I would call edible. They were all edible of course, but after 5 hours of slaving over that fire, they shoulda been a lot better.[p]Anyway, I am trading up to ceramic hoping that I can be lazy and cook great ribs and such. My cousine wants my NBBD and I am more than happy to see him put it to use.[p]Mike

• Mop
    Options
    Mike Bowen,Yes, I was refering to "Best Ribs In The Universe"
    The reason I asked was because I have a metal cooker similar to yours, mine is a Brinkman Smoke'NPit.
    I was womdering if It was just me or the cookers but for the life of me I can`t make ribs on the Egg near as good as I can on the Smoke'NPit.....
    I was curious if you had the same result.[p]Anyway, your cousin will love it I`m sure..[p]Mop![p]

• Mop,
    Since you have used both, what are the differences you've noticed between using vertical ceramic vs a horizontal metal cooker? Again, my main gripe was just tending the thing. When you say the ribs aren't as good, is it flavor or texture? Just curious. Please email me if you think this might be off topic for the forum.[p]Mike[p]

• ChefRD
    Options
    Mop, I was wondering how you did the BRITU's. I've printed out the recipe from Basso's but have not tried it yet. Did you follow it to the letter? I haven't tried it, but if its really good then I want to try it. I'm always looking for a better rib recipe. ;) I know I'll never find a perfect one but I try. :)
    thanks,
    ChefRD

• Mop
    Options
    Mike Bowen,I believe were on topic here.[p]I would have to say the difference is in "texture"
    They seem to want to pull from the bone better on the SNP,
    They also don`t ever seem to get "mushy" at all.
    But, Hey, It`s the cook, not the cooker right![p] There is no question that the fire tending
    is far superior on the Egg as opposed to the SNP.[p]The SNP I am constantly adding or adjusting fuel to meet the proper cooking temps needed for the cook where as the Egg will almost run itself...(almost)~
    I can`t really put a finger on it.
    For some reason "indirect" on the Egg is not "AS" indirect as a horizontal cooker, if that makes any sense to you.
    Also I can`t seem to get the same "bark" that everyone picks from the serving tray first.
    One thing for sure is that the EGG makes KILLER jerky![p]cheers![p]Mop![p]

• Mop
    Options
    ChefRD, On the metal cooker I followed it to the "T" but on the Egg I followed as best as could....Firebricks/ribrack and aluminum pan.
    I have only tryed it a couple of times on the EGG so I have more to learn yet.[p]I have done the recipe several times on the SNP and it`s consistant EVERY time.......it`s just a heck of a job to maintain a steady tempurature on it.
    I won`t even attempt it in the cold weather (like now).[p]Give the recipe a try, There are a lot of people that find it extremely salty and they cut the salt in half....
    Probably a good idea as you can always add it if you need it.
    The recipe makes a lot of rub so it`ll last you a while.
    I`m fairly new to bbqing but as of yet it`s by far my favorite rib recipe and method!
    AS far as the brand names of the ingredients, I went with what I can buy here. Got them all, just different brand names.
    Give er a try.[p]Mop!

• ChefRD
    Options
    Mop, Thanks for the response, I will definitely try the recipe. I'm sure if you like it, I will too. I was thinking that maybe the texture difference was because of top on the Egg? I usually use a daisy/slider but I think I will try the ribs with no top at all (ala Cat) and just control the heat with the bottom. I've done it before, just never with ribs so I think i'll try it that way and see what happens.
    I agree with you that ribs need a "right" texture (whatever that is, I don't know, but I recognize it when I taste it:)), and I must admit I've cooked some that felt like they were steamed/boiled and i was not happy with them, even if the flavor was good. Like I said, always looking for better, ;)
    Later,
    ChefRD

• Mop
    Options
    ChefRD,Let me know how you make out will you?
    I hope you have good luck with it.[p]Mop!

• ChefRD
    Options
    Mop, I'll be glad too, (if I don't forget!;)) If you don't hear something soon, feel free to give me a holler and remind me,(here or Email) OK? I'll bet it will be good!
    later,
    ChefRD[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Mop,[p]Hey, Mop. If you're going to E2K+1, try some ribs from some of the Eggin' pros from this forum. I know Cat, JimW, and NB made ribs last year (others, too, but I'm going off the top of the head here). Their ribs were some of the most scrumptious I've ever had. I can't compare to the ones you're talking about since I've never had them from the big iron. I definitely suggest trying some of the E2K+1 offerings, though, since they would probably tell you, one way or the other, if they can be done to your liking on the BGE.[p]Maybe we can even coax JJ to doing some ribs if we try...[p]
    Cornfed

• Mop,[p]>Also I can`t seem to get the same "bark" that everyone
    >picks from the serving tray first.[p]Hmmm, that isn't exactly good news to me since I like a lot of bark myself. I'm gonna try some ribs this weekend or next and I think I am gonna give the BRITU recipe a shot. If they make, I'll let you know. If not, I'll blame it on the cook and keep trying. heh[p]Mike[p]

• Mop
    Options
    Cornfed, Unfortuantly at this point it looks like I`m staying home for this one.
    Hey, I`m sure the cooker is more than capable of doing "to die for ribs",
    I`m still new to it unlike some of the folks you mentioned, I have seen some of the photos from Tim`s site of the cooks that you guys and gals have done and they look outstanding.
    Some of the best looking food I`ve seen anywhere.
    The nicer weather is on it`s way so I`ll be able to stay outside and "work" with the Egg to get the most out of it rather than just running out with my coat to light it and then run back in to warm up.
    Looking forward to a summer full of good eating and beer drinking...[p]Mop!

• Mop
    Options
    Mike Bowen,lol, sounds good. [p]Mop!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Mop,[p]"Looking forward to a summer full of good eating and beer drinking..."[p]I think your quote sums it up best. I think you're focusing on the correct things. Also, I agree that the cook is by far the most important ingredient. The cook must choose the best ingredients, techniques, and tools. I knew someone in college with some epicurious tastes who made some of the best Q I've ever had on a cheapo water smoker. The secret? He was a voracious reader and "student of the game." He had the means to buy only the best ingredients and was always sure to add that extra bit of love to each cook (why he didn't buy a better tool than the cheapo smoker he usually cooked on I'll never know...).[p]Anyway, as long as you're focused on having a good time and enjoying the good eats and drinks, I think you're on the right path.[p]Cornfed