Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eggcessories

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
May I ask what most of you are using for things like drip pans, V-rack, vertical roaster and anything else I might end up needing. Should I look for only for the BGE brand and if so where might purchase them. (Halcogrills maybe)
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• New Bob,[p]drip pans and a v rack are a necessity. I also feel a shop vac to clean out the egg is also a must. I own both egg brand accessories and off-brand and can not tell much difference. My take on it is that green egg probably does not manufacture anything other than the egg so to some degree most acc. are from other companies. I find some of the best quality stuff at home depot. [p]t[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    New Bob, But several sizes of cheap aluminum throw-away pans. I cover them with heavy duty alum foil, and reuse dozens of times. I have been doing my birds in a v-rack, and don't use my vertical roaster anymore....no particular reason, I just like the v-rack. [p]There is a v-rack available at most kitchen stores that when inverted makes a great rib rack. I would recommend that one. If you look at TimM's pictures from Eggfest 2000, you will see a picture af Cat and her ribs. That is the v-rack I am talking about.[p]A second grate is a must-have. Weber makes one that fits well. BGE's extended grate is nice to have also. Don't forget to grab a polder thermometer or two.[p]Good luck!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • New Bob, a BGE plate sitter and pizza stone are two neat accessories to add to your list though there are folks on this board who will try to talk you out of the plate sitter.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    New Bob,
    If you don't get the Polder right off the bat, get one of those pen-size instant read thermometers.. pretty handy, but keep your reading glasses or one of the kids nearby.
    I like the plate setter, as it provides a stable base to put your pizza stone on when doing some pie, and it should work well to do your indirect cooking, in lieu of firebricks. Everyone here speaks from various measures of Eggsperience, but it's all good stuff you won't be disappointed in following. Hey, don't forget some good smokin' woods, too!! Home Depot in my town, stocks in 40# bags of mesquite or hickory, for $19.99. That should last awhile!! Good luck.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    New Bob, don't pass up a few (4-6) cheap thin firebricks from a store that sells fireplace equipment. I use them under a pizza stone or a drip pan (I do what NB does, use the throwaway alluminum pans with foil) and skip the more expensive items. Also, the second grid is very handy. I bought mine at Lowe's. I like my vertical roaster, but I also have an adjustable v-rack which I think I bought at Lechter's. I use the Weber starter cubes, and I have a Polder and several instant-read thermometers handy. As for BGE brand items, my favorite is the pizza stone which is thicker and more robust than the cheap-o brand which broke after a few high temp cooks. I still use the two pieces, however. Waste not, want not.[p]Have fun!!
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    New Bob,
    One accessory I really like is a 9 or 10 inch diameter wok-like thing that has 1/2-inch holes all over it. It is great for doing veggies like peppers and onions. Italian sausages thrown in are great too. Nature Boy did his squid last year at Eggfest on a square one. Either is available at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $10.
    JimW