Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

makin' bacon (not buckboard)

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone made regular bacon using pork bellies? I want to make some bacon for my dad for Christmas but I'm not sure what method to use. I will use the buckboard method if that's the way to go.[p]Also, I want to make some pastrami. I am going to be lazy and use a pre-made corned beef, but I don't know if I should use the point or the flat. Any ideas on that?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    I made Canadian bacon using a pork loin and the buckboard cure, it really turned out good. Have given chunks of it out to several people and they loved it. My cheese however, was another story, can't bring myself to give it out. -RP

• AlaskanC
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I am with you on the cheese. Mine was pretty icky, but now I have new instructions so hopefully I can get a decent batch made.
    I think I am going to go ahead and try the buckboard stuff on the bacon. I'm sure it will be good! (crossing fingers)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Making belly bacon is not that hard, it is just sometimes hard to locate a quality belly. If your butcher can come up with this for you, ask if you can buy the brisket (front) end of the slab. If he skins is for you it is even less prep for you. The next obstacle is that you will get a better quality product if you can cold smoke it and an Egg is tough to hold at 80° for several hours.[p]You may be better off cutting your teeth on some Buckboard bacon first to see how you like home-curing.[p]As far as pastrami goes, home-corned beef makes the best but using a store-bought corned beef will work too, I do it often, using the flats. The points are usually low quality and very fatty.[p]To get an idea of Buckboard and pastrami made from store-bought corned beef, justhttp://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com and you will go to my cookin' site. The recipe section includes both Buckboard and pastrami pages. In fact the pastrami page has two tried and proven recipes using store-bought beef.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS If you want to try out some of the Buckboard cure, send me your mailing address via e-mail. I can mail some out tomorrow.[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I am going to take your advice and try the buckboard bacon. I just went to the Hi Mountain website and ordered the cure - but thank you very much for the offer to send some!
    I know that the home-made corned beef would make a better pastrami, but we never get briskets here. I'll give the store bought kind a try for now I guess.
    I will be glued to your instructions for days.... lol :)
    Thanks for the help!!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    I've made pastrami twice using store bought corned beefs and had very good results. They are all flats I think. -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]With both the bacon and pastrami, the soak time and the rest time in the fridge before smoking is very important, so allow enough time there. [p]As always feel free to ask questions....[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Melissa:[p]Len Poli has some great recipes you need to check out. Here is a
    Dry Cured Bacon Recipe and here is Len Poli's Home Page. From the Home Page click on "Formulations" for a great collection of sausage and meat curing recipes.[p]If you cannot pick up tenderquick locally, you can purchase it direct from Morton Salt. The Ingredient Store has curing supplies as well as The Sausage Maker.[p]With both bacon and pastrami it helps to have access to a slicer. Regardless, once you get the hang of it the home made product beats store bought!

• AlaskanC
    Options
    Thanks Darryl - that is very helpful info! I am not sure if we have tenderquick here, so I might buzz across the street and see what they've got.[p]I will most definitely be bugging everyone for help!! :)
  • rex clingan
    Options
    Smoked corned beef is a wonderful thing, but isn't really pastrami. Dry cure for pastrami, brine for corning. DIY on the cure lets you have a lot more options: eye of round for leaner, a cut from the plate called navel for fattier than brisket. [p]I remember watching Emeril make a duck pastrami. You could even use a pork butt or shoulder and make a corned pork or pork pastrami, if kosher isn't a constraint. [p]Pastrami curing a pork belly would give you a hybrid of bacon and pastrami. I'm thinking of trying a seasoning that would combine the resulting flavors of a pastrami dry cure and cooking rub to mix into bulk pork sausage and keep on hand in the freezer for a quick "pastrami" fix. [p]I kinda like the idea of combining the brisket burger idea with using a cured piece of beef.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    metal dryer hose from the daisy to a cardboard box (with a wire rack in it) will give you cold smoke temps. you want it below 100, but the egg could be higher, as the smoke will cool in transit

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have been making Pastrami like it's my job for about a month. I used Bluesmoke's recipe and just a store bought corn beef package, the whole thing.[p]Throw away spices and rinse well. Pat dry.[p]Combine 2 tbs fresh cracked pepper
    2 tbs garlic powder
    2 tbs sugar in the raw
    1 tbs giner powder
    Cover the meat and let it sit overnight.[p]I then cook indirect at 250* for several hours using hickory chunks. I'd say 5-7 hrs.[p]This may not be authenic pastrami, but it's damn good and close enough for me... and ALL my neighbors.[p]Fun easy cook too. Stay warm.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    canadianbacon004.jpg
    <p />AlaskanC,
    never made regular bacon but have made canadian style. nature boys site has a simple recipe to follow. i found it a little salty, but rinsing the slices before frying worked out well. the slices freeze well
    canadianbacon007.jpg
    for the pastrami if you use store bought soak it for a day atleast and change the water a few times. dont use anything in the rub with salt, it rises to the surface as you cook it. i use skinny flats and roll and tie it before cooking. garlic onion powder and cracked black pepper for a rub and hickory and cherry for smoke. this was a grey style cornbeef which is something you would find in boston, we dont eat as much red stuff, but that works fine too, you really need to soak the red corned beef well
    2004_0122Image0020.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Billy,
    This the recipe you were talking about the other day? I don't recall seeing one of these "store bought corn beef packages"!? Any further info on identifying one of these things?

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    Wardster,[p]What temp are you pulling it at???[p]Thanks,
    ChrisC

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    djm5x9, getting an error on that PDF page (Dry Cured Bacon Recipe). Any idea why?

• Wardster
    Options
    egret,
    Yeah, that's the one. You can find them at any supermarket. They are in the beef section and cryovac sealed, not like the other cuts of meat sold. They usually have one or two out at a time, but more in the back. Just ask the counter if you can't find them. I'd be real suprised if they did not carry them.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Options
    ChrisC,
    eh.. depends. I've pulled a couple at 160ish and they were great. The last 2 I did I pulled at 190ish. The last ones seemed to have a little more fat in them. Could be because the actually did, or it could have been the longer cook.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • egret
    Options
    Wardster,
    Much appreciated.......Will look for it.

• fishlessman
    Options
    egret,
    if you dont see them now, look again in march, its a st paddy day meal, and after that holiday they come on sale for a lot cheaper. if you find you like it, stock up after st paddy day

fukahwee maine

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Bill!
    Works for me. It's a PDF file. You got your current version of Acrobat reader??
    Beers MANG!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Wise One:[p]Sorry for the late reply . . . I retired from being unemployed . . . Did the link work for you?[p]Len has a really neat site with some great recipes. Let me know if you want to make some sausage one weekend!

• egret
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks for the info. I actually saw them at the grocery store today and they were pretty pricey, over 6 bucks/lb.

• fishlessman,
    where is nature boy site?

• fishlessman
    Options
    benny,

[ul][li]dizzy pig[/ul]
    fukahwee maine