Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Eggccessories should I get first?

Options
Wingman
Wingman Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to start working on my table/area for my Large BGE. But while that is in the works I want to start continue cooking and gatthering up accessories. [p]I'm getting ready to order a plate setter but what else should I get at the same time?
Some places show the heightened racks but I don't see them on biggreenegg.com ? ? That would be nice.[p]Looking to do burgers, steaks, chicken, and ribs mostly.
Thanks
Matt

Comments

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Wingman,
    Beer.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Wingman,[p] Platesetter. Pizza Stone. Mo' Beer...
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Wingman,
    I have the 3 layer rack, it is good for cookin' up a mess of chicken, things like thighs - when you don't have to get to them and turn them alot.[p]V-rack and drip pan(s) - even if disposable / throw away versions... [p]I have a plate setter, don't know what I'd do without it. I do not have a pizza stone for the egg, but have safely used one we had for the house one time... I'm afraid subjecting it to that level of heat would crack it, it wa ssimply something I tried one night and was successful... it is thinner than the one BGE sells. [p]

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• hayhonker
    Options
    Wingman,[p]The three things I use the most are the plate setter, the pizza stone and a Thermapen instant read thermometer.
    I'd also recommend silicon oven mits or welders gloves, and a basting brush.
    And a good set of knives.
    And a bamboo cutting board.
    And a camera for posting pics here.
    and on and on. You'll get some great ideas from the responses to your question...

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Thermapen is indispensable, assortment of Dizzy Pig rubs, plate setter, rib rack, small propane torch for lighting lump, and a good 12 year old scotch.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Wingman,
    you dont need a lot to cook on an egg, a raised grill, a second regular grill, some fire brick splits and a pan with low sides or even disposable pans and you can cook almost anything. add a pizza stone later and thats all you need for pizza and breads. everything else you get because you want it. i like having a remote therm and a thermopen, but can cook without them.stock up on essentials, spice, smoking woods, meat, and beer. ive been cooking a long time without a platesetter or guru and they may be nice to have, but not essential, go slow and get what you need when the time arrives.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Wingman,
    That is actually a hard question, because it depends a lot on whether you are collecting toys for the joy of doing it and because you will like having them once in a while or if you are looking to get the most useful items first.[p]Here are the things I use most.[p]- Grate lifter
    - Ash cleaning too (to stir lump before lighting and to clean ash)
    - The rig I had made to raise the level of my main grage (contact woodoggies if you want something similar). I do everything but steak sears on a raised grate.
    - Mapp torch for lighting
    - Plate setter and pizza stone[p]