Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DEER TENDERLOIN ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a deer tenderloin that is bout the size of your arm (lol) that I wanted to smoke and was wondering if anyone had ever done one or had any tips (times and temps) on cooking one?

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    wrap it in bacon to increase...or substitute...for the lack of fat in the loin.[p]fwiw, they cooked them on the bbq championship sunday night. you may be able to get a receipt at versus.com (addy below)
    [ul][li]http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/25063/?tf=nwArticle.tpl[/ul]
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Ken ,
    I have eaten venison tenderloin that has been cut into medallions, marinated in Worcestershire sauce, wrapped in bacon and grilled to medium. Good stuff!
    Knowing that venison doesn't have a lot ao fat, be careful not to overcook.
    HTH
    wrobs

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Ken ,
    IMHO that is not the right cut for smoking and frankly too good for that, unless you just don't like deer meat. Cut it about the thickness of the width of a slice of bacon, press some pepper in the edges and sides, wrap it with and cook it quick. If you have the option, I would cook it in a pan and then make a pan sauce with some shallots, red wine, butter and perhaps thyme.

• Banker John
    Options
    Ken ,
    I have cooked many venison loins on the egg. If you have tenderloin, you may want to pass cooking them on the egg. Even on a large deer, they are still pretty small in diameter; you may want to try the bacon wrapped medallions as suggested below.[p]If you have the loin, which is what I believe you have if you say it is long as an arm, then this is a different cut and opens up the possibilities. First, you will ned to finish butchering the cut of meat. I separate the loin into 3 pieces, head, middle and tail, and cut into thirds. There is a very tough tendon that runs the length of the loin that will need to be removed. I use a filet knife and use the knife in the same manner as if I were removing the skin of a fish. Discard the big tendon piece. There will also be several smaller white tendons that connect the loin into the backbone of the deer. I trim these smaller tendon pieces leaving a bit of meat attached. I use this meat to make venison stew or goulash. Now that you have the loin properly 'cleaned up', you can now proceed to plan the meal.[p]I prefer to roast the loin on an inverted plate setter. I season the meat by rubbing with a few drops of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Pompein First Cold Press) and then sprinkle with your favorite dry rub (I prefer DizzyPig Tsunami Spin for venison). I preheat the egg to 325 and stabilize. Once the egg is temp stabilized at 325, I will add a few hickory nuts for smoke flavor and place the loin roast on the grid (remember, indirect using an inverted plate setter. I stick a polder probe into the loin and cook until the internal temp is 136 (a good medium but not with bloody red juices). Once the meat hits 136 on the polder, I remove the roast and immediately wrap in heavt duty aluminum foil sealing it very tight, then double wrap the cut again very tightly. I place in a small lunch box cooler for about 10 minutes while the rest of the table and side dishes are served to the table. I then present the cut of meat on a nice maple cutting board and cut cross grain in about 1/2" slices. You will find this method renders a truly 'fork tender' and flavorful cut of meat. In our house, fork tender means no knife is needed to cut the meat; one could use a fork.[p]However you choose to prepare the venison, please share your method and results. Just remember, a lot of work went into harvesting the deer... give thanks.[p]Banker John