Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE "Sub Zero Club"

Options
ArvadaMan
ArvadaMan Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is their a BGE "Sub Zero Club"? How many of you have you have cooked on your BGE when it was below zero outside?

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    "Aye!" X 3, Arvadaman. For 8 years or so. [p]But I have to admit that I love my Cookshack for long cooks when it's really ugly outside.[p]There's something odd that happens to me, Arvadaman, when it gets really cold - all of a sudden I want to fire up my mini, which is under cover, and cook myself a great little dinner when my husband ("Apple") has to work at night.[p]We forum members are a twisted bunch indeed!
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    Oh yeah. We've had our BGE for a number of years (is it 10 now?) and have cooked at -23F, but just to prove I'd do it. I don't go out much when its life-threatening. But here in Anchorage its often below 0. Life, and cooking, go on.

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    I have, did a butt overnight and the temp gauge never twitched.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    Yep, done it many times over the last 10 or more years in southwest lower MI. Doesn't seem to bother the egg much, but I hate it!
    (28 more days until I head to AZ for the winter. :))
    later,
    ron.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    Yup, the cold does not stop my cookin. I'm in a protected corner facing south-east sheltered from the north-west winds.
    Crystal clear ice cold air filled with the sweet scent of wood smoke, the egg and I are smiling.
    Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    all the time. its was colder than i thought last night, not near zero, but a colander of mussels i had going on froze solid like a brick in about a half hour. must be time to drop the storm windows on the house. the egg works fine, shorts are ok, but getting snow in your slippers is not fun. cant wait for winter, its the best time to egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    i'd say everyone in new england.....[p]did it in a 30" snowstorm once (overnight). the thing has no clue how cold it is. wish i could say the same for me

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    porksicles.jpg
    <p />Arvadaman,
    It was -5 outside and 250 inside the egg ... It was soooo cooooolllld the egg was makin porksicles.[p]Nuthin' like pulled pork in the dead of winter.[p]Doug

[ul][li]An even greater temperature differential ... fire and ice![/ul]
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    I used to do that on my old Weber Kettle, looking foreward to doing it on the new egg. One advantage of the Weber is that it keeps the cook warmer.

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    duckegg,[p]Maybe at first, but if you snuggled up to your weber, it'd burn you. Your egg will comfort you at 325 degrees.[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    duckegg,
    that means the heat's being wasted!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante