Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Working at home has its privileges!

Options
Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am lucky to have an employer who does not much care where I work as long as the work gets done. So, unless otherwise required, I tend to work out of my house a fair amount. Today, I thought that ribs would be nice for dinner, so I asked my wife to pick up some babybacks from CostCo. I knocked off at noon for my lunch break, and fired up some lump in the chimney. While that was going, I prepared the ribs (Red Eye Express from the DP gang), then dumped the chimney of hot coals into my cooker. About 30 minutes later, the temp was at my target, so I loaded up the ribs. Then I wolfed down my lunch and headed back to the office. Aside from a couple of temp checks while I was in the kitchen refilling my water glass, this was a completely unattended cook. 15 minutes before taking them off, I put on a thin layer of Stubbs bbq sauce mixed with honey (about 2/4 to 1/3.) This is what we had for dinner:[p]BabyBacks_120406.jpg[p]Yum![p]Rich

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Rich G,
    The ribs look awesome! What temp did you cook em at and for how long? Did you use a rib rack with an indirect heat. Just curious... I like soaking up information to make my next rib cook better. I liked you idea of adding honey to the Stubbs' sauce. I don't think I would have thought about doing that on my own.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]About 5-5.5 hours at an average dome temp of 220. Three slabs flat on the grate, indirect cook. The honey addition to the sauce is just an adaptation of Mike Crutchfields finishing sauce for his BRITU (Best Ribs in The Universe) championship recipe, so I only get credit for propagating his method. The honey helps the sauce to set up and shine in addition to bringing a little sweetness (which contrasts nicely with the salt in the rub.)[p]Thanks for the kind words. I don't always take pictures of my food, but these seemed worthy of a quick shot.[p]Keep soaking it in! 98% of what I know about Q'in came from osmosis.[p]Rich
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Rich G,
    other day for lunch ( i work outta the house too) i had a small rack of lamb, macadamia crusted over dijon mustard rub. [p]hell of a lot better'n brown-bagging it!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    If you like sweet ribs, orange juice is a good spritzer mix and a good addition to a BBQ sauce for finish.