Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opening the top and controlling temps?? I have a problem

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm on day 3 with my BGE and I am Loving IT!
I made some great Chicken wings yesterday but I ran into a problem:[p]I did around 25 small wingettes on the grill and I was trying to cook them at 250 for around 2 hours. [p]I went to flip about 40 min in and it took me so long to simply flip the temp skyrocketed. I shut everything to slow the cooking down right after but I ended up with too much heat to keep slow cooking. I finally ran it up to 325 and finished them in the next 20-30 min.[p]What do you guys do?- AND the wings came out GREAT, I was requested to do them again this Friday for my daughter's b'day[p]BTW: I'll be getting a new name soon :) Give me a day or so to be creative.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Matt- (need to come up with a new name),[p]How about "Wingman?" Remember this?
    "You're still dangerous. But you can be my wingman any day."
    "No, you can be my wingman."[p]Or something like that. :-)[p]Anyway, you could try to flip your wings faster. (Big help, I know.) Another thing would be to close the bottom vent when you open the Egg, to keep some of the airflow down. Another thought is take the whole grid out of the cooker and set it down somewhere to flip, so you can close the egg. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Matt- (need to come up with a new name),
    what i do when i need to open the lid for a long period to flip or foil a close the bottom draft before opening to cut off the extra air flow then when closing the dome i just re open it!!
    mike

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I had the same problem and I love wings! I bought another grid and lay them across each other. Instead of 'flipping' my wings, I toss them around. This worked for me.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Matt- (need to come up with a new name),[p]I've never timed it, but somewhere between flipping half and 2/3's of a grill full of various pieces and parts, the heat seems to jump. So I just stop, wait a minute or two, and try to finish.[p]What I see after opening the dome is that the dome temp drops for a few minutes, and then rises from, say, 250 to 300, and stays there for a few minutes more. Then it drops back to 250. I can usually do this several times before the fire really expands, and goes up to 300 for quite a long time.[p]gdenby

• Wingman it is! (These wings were awesome)

It seems like I have a problem that everyone has, glad its not an amateur move on my part then!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Start your cook with a smaller batch of lump.
    I believe "Fishlessman" has posted about his low, direct rib cooks with small amounts of lump. This will help with the spikes.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    that works for chicken wings at 250 for 2 hours, you only need to fill to the holes in the firebox and cook on a raised grill, the higher the better and you wont have those flareups. another trick if i see flareups when i dont want them when the dome is shut is to take a gloved hand and cover the upper vent with it. works well when trexing steaks were the fire is wrapped around the steak and ruining your grill marks. i just quickly snuff the flare up by covering the dome vent with a gloved hand

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thank you. I follow your posts on a regular basis. Always great tips and great out of the norm (I mean this in a good way) seafood and such. I hope to make a good seafood chowder soon. I had a bowl at Ceasars in Lake Tahoe that was the best ever.
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Virginian
    Options
    I have that problem too. I have minimized it be learning to flip chicken quickly (takes practice). Also, with chicken a temp increase to 300-325 when you flip does not hurt the meat, just adjust the airflow to gradually bring it back down if you want to go back ot the lower temp. [p]It took me a year on this board before I knew what my name should be. No need to rush on that, wait until you find something that really suits you. [p]Brett

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    For what it's worth, I would simply suggest that you not flip the wings, if you are cooking that low. I never flip my spatchcock birds and they are generally cooked at 300-350, on a raised grid.

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    Matt- (need to come up with a new name), I use wing racks that I ordered from Cabellas. You get two racks for about $15.00 and each holds about 14 wings. No turning. Jim.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Matt- (need to come up with a new name),[p]Just a few ideas to help get your creative wheels started . . . [p]MetalSmith, MetalWright, MetalMaster, MetalGuru, MetalMentor, MetalMaharishi, MetalSage, BigCheese, KingPin . . .[p]