Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

Options
Beerman
Beerman Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi guys
i'm cooking my first brisket for the fam. (in laws) and need some guidance. i'm trying to figure out what temp to cook at and what temp to bring the brisket to (they like beef on the rare side)
need help, i'm under pressure
thanks
beerman

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    beerman,
    I don't think you are going to cook a brisket rare. You better get some steaks. Briskets pull at 190-195.[p]Mike

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    beerman,[p] Unless you don't like your in-laws I'd do as Mike said. The Dome should be around 275 or so. Cook the brisket indirect. You are looking at 1-2 per pound depending on the fat content and amount of connective tissue.[p] Your cook time may be less if you are just cooking the Flat.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    122_2285.jpg
    <p />beerman, I suggest a brisket flat, say 5-6 pounds. It will feed 5 or 6 people. The picture is a 5.5 pound flat. When you buy one, if possible, get ‘choice’ grade. Try to find one that is uniform in thickness. [p]Cook the flat at 225-240 degrees grid temp, indirect set-up with a pan underneath it to catch the drippings. Place the flat on the grid with the fat side down. The cook should take 8-10 hours in the egg. Use 3 or 4 chunks of pecan, hickory or oak to smoke. When the brisket hits 165ish degrees internal temperature, double foil it and put it back in the egg. If you like, add a 1/3 cup of beef broth/stock. When it hits 195ish internal temperature, pull it from the egg and place it in a cooler with towels for 1-2 hours. [p]Slice it against the grain, so the pieces are 1/4-3/8 inches wide. Just pay attention to the grain when "rubbing up" at beginning of the cook. Skim the fat from the leftover juice and use it for a dipping sauce. [p]I’m no expert, but that’s how I do it….

• Beerman
    Options
    Thanks Eggheads!!!
    Got my egg sparklin clean as we speak.
    Sandbagger, I'm, drooling looking at your brisket.
    As always, thanks for the awesome advice!!!

• Yo beerman, (Why do I feel like I am talking to myself? Must be your handle....) I think I would take Car Wash Mike's advice and go with the steaks. You ARE wanting to impress the in-laws, right? And they like their beef rare? If this is the case, brisket may not be what they are looking for. A good brisket will be tender and juicy, but it won't be rare.[p]Another thing, brisket is not the easiest cut of beef to cook. Not many people nail a good brisket on their first attempt either. I would wait until you have a few brisket cooks under your belt before inviting company over to be impressed by your cooking skills.[p]If steaks won't work, why not try a tri-tip roast on the Egg? A tri-tip is easy to cook and your guests will get that rare beef that they want. I hope this helps.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy D Beerman

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sheesh Juggy, when I read that post from beerman I thought it was just you trying to get some brisket tips....Heheeee[p]Seriously, good advice from one beerman to another.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Yo thirdeye, I was wondering how many other people thought that was me posting brisket questions. Even though I have been cooking briskets for 20+ years, I will still read any tips I can on cooking a better brisket. LOL[p]Yeah of all the cuts of meat there are to cook, I think brisket is the toughest to master. My New Year's resolution is to cook two every two weeks so I can practice up for next year's contest season.[p]Holiday Beers to you thirdeye,[p]Juggy