Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

venison

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gearing up for the race at talladega and I need some good recipes for venison in the egg. I will be smoking the hind quarters and have no idea how to do it. Not sure on times or method because of the lack of fat in the meat. please offer any assistance and feel free to e'mail me.[p]thanks
t

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    tember2, I haven't cooked that particular hunk of venison but you might find something here that will adapt for ya easily. Everything does in the BGE. Scroll thru the page.
    C~W

[ul][li]Venison Recipes[/ul]
  • tember2,I have cooked several hind quarters for friend that turned out great.
    First I stripped as much of the membrane from the meat as possible.This is not real easy and takes a littl time,catfish skinners will help.
    I then injected the meat all over with extra virgin olive oil and Dales or Moores marinade(Dont over inject with the marinade due to the high sodium content).Then make small pockets in the meat about 1" deep and place garlic cloves in these pockets and seal the whole by tucking strips of bacon in them.I them coat the outside with the olive oil and Tony Cacheres cajun seasoning>
    I cooked with a little hickory flavor at 250 indirect for about 6 hrs then wrapped in foil and cooked another 4hrs at
    250.Check internal meat temp with insta read at this time for a 185-190 temp.
    The people I cooked them for just raved about them so I quess they worked out well.
    Good luck.You may want to try one before Talladega just to see what you think.I know how geared up people get over there and you dont want a bunch of drunks bitchin about your meat.
    BTW what out for #88.he is due.
    David Sewell-Tuscaloosa,Al

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    SloppyPig, sic em Dave..Good Luck..!!
    C~W

• Char-Woody,You are the man.Love ya brother
    Dave

• BearFan
    BearFan Posts: 28
    SloppyPig,[p]Any reason this recipe wouldn,t work on a venison[p]sholder roast? I was given one and thought about[p]doing it like a pork butt or even making jerky out[p]of it. [p]Ed
  • BearFan,I dont see why not.The meat texture should be about the same.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    BearFan,[p]I have been cooking venison for 25 years and have not had a lot of luck with the shoulder.We always cut the shoulder up for stew meat,it just has to much muscle and membrane to cook whole.[p]Larry
  • BearFan
    BearFan Posts: 28
    YB,[p]I thought it may be better suited for the crock pot![p]Thanks,[p]Ed

• BearFan,The shoulder muscles should break down after the meat reaches a certain temp.Pork shoulder has the mucsles down nearn the joints of arm and shank and that is the best piece of meat in the entire thing.If you have access to several,try one like the hind qtr and if it doesnt break down to tenerize enough then throw it in a crock pot.

• SloppyPig, We be Brother's of the Q...happy EGG'ing! Do you mind if I suggest ya watch yer temperature now?? Big Grin..!![p]C~W