Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Egged pastie

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PastieMake.jpg
<p />With the winter cold here, I decided to try a U.P. pastie, but 'ala Egg. I started with 1 pound of cubed beef and .5 of pork. I gave the pieces a basic rub of salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and paprika. I smoked the pieces rather heavily for an hour at 250 - 290. Then I ground up the meat, and mixed it with grated potatoes, carrots and rutabegas. After placing the mix on pre-made pie dough, I returned 2 to the Egg, now at 350 with an upright plate-setter and a pizza stone. I let them cook a little longer than an hour. An inserted thermometer read just above 210. Because the meat had already rendered out most of the fat, and was a little dry, I made some red wine gravy. The results were good. The smoke flavor was strong and sharp, and even without the gravy, the pie was pretty moist. But next time I'll put a little of the gravy into the pocket before cooking.

Comments

• I used to eat the heck out of those in Australia.
  • gdenby
    Options
    PigsEye,[p]My basic pastie recipe is (only average by U. P. standards):[p]1 lb. beef stew meat, cubed to 1/2 inch.
    .5 lb pork stew meat, cubed to 1/2 inch.
    3 - 4 medium potatoes, diced to 1/4"
    1 large carrot, diced to 1/4"
    .5 medium rutagega, diced to 1/4"
    or
    1 medium turnip, diced to 1/4"
    (rutabegas are a lot better, IMO)[p]Salt, pepper, and parsley to taste.[p]A pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon[p]Butter and/or a few tablesoons of broth to mix with everything.[p]As many 9" pie crusts folded over as it takes to hold all the fillings (for me, usually 6). Puncture the crusts to let steam out. Brush with egg wash. Place in oven at 350 for about an hour. If it looks like the filling is drying out during cooking, add butter, gravy, wine, all or any mixture thereof through the top cuts.[p]gdenby

• DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    Options
    gdenby,[p] Looks great! I'm going to try these next weekend.
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    gdenby,
    Are you from the UP? I used to spend a lot of nights in Munising. First time that I ever saw toilet water freeze, someone step from a snowdrift to their roof, snow plows on Lake Superior or temperatures too cold to leave your beer outside...[p]Beautiful place, though.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    gdenby,
    Hey, looks good. I made pastys last winter on the egg, turned out great. I did not smoke'em, just baked like a bread. They make a good lunch, grew up on 'em as I have relatives in Ironwood.
    Nice pic's and thanks for sharing! This cold weather is kicking up the cooking.
    Clay

• thanks. I'll be doing those soon.

• gdenby
    Options
    SouthOfI10,[p]No, I'm not from the U.P. I used to vacation there a lot, and at one point was planning to move there. I used to camp not too far from Munising (yikes! end of May and ice still on the lake.). Like you said, very beautiful. Some of the pasties were the best food I've ever had, and so I've been inspired to try making them.[p]gdenby

• gdenby
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]When I got up this morning, and all my car doors were frozen shut, not to mention the Egg, I thought to myself, what food goes with cold weather. Mmmm, pasties.[p]gdenby

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    gdenby,
    Wow, thanks for the pics and directions! I was born in Duluth buy been in AZ since age of 5. Grew up eating these and make them often in the oven, never even thought of trying them on the egg. Thanks for the inspiration!! Best eatin anywhere and yes, rutabegas RULE