Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cook times

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking 5 to 6lb chickens using a meat thermometer and have found the cooking times to be unpredictable. With the vert. roaster times are usually 1.75 to 2 hrs. Is this longer than usual? The book says 15 to 20 mins/lb.
I,m cooking a 10lb chicken this week and I'm wondering how long it will take. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    Pat,
    I don't know about actual cooking times, but please throw the book away. At best, only use it to start the fire.
    Jake

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Pat, You didn't mention your temperature of the cook. Some run below 300F..I find that the 15 to 20 minute will hold the course at 350F pretty close. You will find a variable when using a wire sitter vs a ceramic or closed container sitter. Also, whether you use a open cavity cook or a fruit cocktail (apples oranges etc) packed cavity...The main thing is to use a Polder remote if your still learning and your cook, regardless of temperature, will be done when the internal breast (thickest part) reaches 170F...Some will tell you 160F...I find 160F is too low considering the redness of the meat around the thigh and leg joints. Also how you place the bird in the cooker will also make a difference in the cook.
    I am available via e.mail if you need more in depth.
    Cheers to ya, and welcome aboard Pat..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Pat,
    Times always vary a bit, but I have found 15-20 minutes a pound to be a pretty good ballpark figure when cooking at 350-375 indirect. This is taking the breast temp to 165. [p]What dome temp have you been cooking at?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody,
    Didn't see you around the corner! Yowza. Almost a head on!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    NB, no problem..I do that too..!
    The essence of a posting is in the perspective of helping a newcomer. If we can jointly do that, our day is good. Good to see ya back from the nature jaunt. My old bones would be creaking. :-)
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy,
    Thanks Nature boy, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I've been cooking at 300 dome temp. I have also been using water in the drip pan to stop the drippings from burning.(I make gravy with them)
    By the way I work in a retail outlet in Canada selling the egg. I have been using the egg for about 6 months and cook on it at least 3 times per week. It truly is amazing how versitile it is. Chickens cooked at 300 dome temp are excellent.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Pat, Where in Canada are you? We have a whole group of Canadian Qers hangin out here. [p]Please stick around as there are great folks here. The learning just keeps going on and on. I agree, it is quite a versatile cooker. Sure has thrown a curve into my life![p]I agree that 300 makes a great chicken. The higher temps give crispier the skin (we don't eat it). Also have noticed a bit less smoke flavor with the higher temps. [p]enjoy...and stop back!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm from Peterborough, Ont
    I can't wait to cook/smoke some fresh walleye(Pickerel), this summer. Tried pizza the other day, cooked 3 of them, burnt the first one a bit, re-arranged the firebricks and the other 2 were awsome.
    By the way I have a 10lb chicken on the egg @ 350 as we speak, again thanks for the advice.
    Pat

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks Char-Woody. I'm cooking a 10lb bird on a vertical roaster using a dome temp of 350. I'm hoping 3 1/2 to 4 hours should do it.
    Thanks for the advice, talk to you soon

• Char-Woody
    Options
    I think your cook time will be considerably shorter than that..monitor it closely at 2 to 2.5 hours.
  • Pat, Walleye is a great fish...as is Pickerel. They don't get too big down here. good eatin though. Them pickerels is loooooong and skinny though! Walleyes quite a bit fater and less bony. CW eats em for breakfast.[p]....BTW, in the "Name" field, you type your name. Like I typed your name in this post![p]Enjoy your chicken. Nice to have you around.
    NB