Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tamale season

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the time of year here in the southwest that the hispanic people traditionally make and give tamales. I'm not hispanic but have spent enough time learning from them that I make some killer pork tamales. Wish I could figure out some way to share them with my friends here on the forum. Maybe a few pics later on. -RP

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    16e566dc.jpg
    <p />AZRP,[p]Ahh, the joys of giving. I give away about 8 to 10 dozen each December, and some folks are already asking about 'em. One guy claims mine are "here today and gone tamale". [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    thirdeye,
    AND YOU LIVE WHERE??[p]AND WHEN WILL THEY BE READY??[p]YUM!!!!!!

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Tis the season. We need to get busy and make some. Need to do some green corn as we haven't made them in a couple of years. Enjoy the task, nothing like it. AZ
  • AZRP,
    I have a few foodsaver bags of pulled pork that might make a great tamale filling...[p]hmmm!

• AZRP
    Options
    jiarby,
    I have a bunch in the freezer too, but my wife objected when I said I was going to use it. Said it was for sandwiches, leave it alone. Oh well. -RP

• AZRP,
    We've smoked up a bunch of bone-in-skin-on chicken leg quarters
    then stripped all the meat and skin off. Mixed
    the chicken meat with chile verde and made tamales.
    Great stuff! We've also made them with pulled pork. Think
    I'll go take an inventory of what's in the freezer.

• AZRP
    Options
    K_sqrd,
    When I was a little more health concience, I would cook thighs in my dried red chile chicken broth mixture until they were tender enough to shred. Really couldn't tell much of a difference from pork ones. -RP

• Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    AZRP,
    I just had some tamales from South Texas. They were made with olive oil and way healthier than made with shortening. They were delicious! I have no recipe but perhaps those of you on the forum who make them can attempt to make these with olive oil and then share your recipe. Just a thought-

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Peanut,[p]Olive oil in a South Texas tamale? Wow....things must have changed since I learned how to make tamales there, that's where I'm from. BTW, who uses shortening?? I still use lard. LOL [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Lard you are right! Oops! These tamales were awesome. I couldn't believe how the taste or texture was not compromised at all. This woman makes everything with olive oil. I had these in Brownsville over the holiday. Yum!