Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time blunder

Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I dutifully watched the tempgage for chicken until the Titans last stand --then ran to the egg relizing I left the dome somewhat askew for airflow, which led to too hot temps causing drumettes to burn. Whats the deal w/the dome? Lean it to the side, leave it alone?[p]

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    big smoke,[p]I'm not sure I fully understand your question but assuming you mean leaving the lid open, is not the way the egg is designed to cook at it's best. I always cook with the dome fully closed and control the fire with the bottom vent. If this does not give you the answer you seek, please restate your question and we will try to help further.[p]We welcome you to the forum and are glad to have you join us in the fun and information found within.

• Bob,Yes, I thought you controlled the heat by leaving the lid open a bit (by putting it aside to leave a little airhole) as well as sliding the vent? wrong? I know that the heat goes way up with the lid off, but thought that that was part of the alchemy. If I was to guess --from reading some archive posts, you just build the fire, then leave the lid on at all times?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    big smoke, We need to get (lid-dome) and top vent caps all organized so Bob and others can give ya the right info..I will assume your dome was closed and the top vent wide open?
    Words have a way of derailing the intent of the question. And also..welcome to the forum..all kinds of help here.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Grumpa
    big smoke,[p]I have got a bad case of the stupids tonight as I have been putting in long hours on the desk so please bear with me. When you say "lid" are you taking about the "dome" (Upper half of the egg) or the chimmney top cap?[p]If you are talking about the small cap on the very top of the egg, then yes, that too can be manipulated to assist with the air flow. It would be better to learn to control your heat mostly with the bottom vent. It takes very little bottom vent opening to get the fire hot. An opening of approximately 1/8 inch would maintain a 200-250* fire and an opening of an inch would probably get you a 400* or higher temp. These are only approximations as many conditions affect the air and temp flow of the egg.[p]It is much better to have a fire lower than your target and slowly adjust the vent to raise the temp. Once the egg gets overheated it takes a very long time to cool it back down. If you are going to be away from the cooking area for an extended period of time it would be best to close the bottom vent down to a very small opening rather than leave it wide open. The temp can raise rapidly with good air flow and I would rather extend the cook than too burn the meal if that makes sense. If I am rambling and I apologize. I'm sure someone else will jump in here and further explain as well.[p]

• Grumpa
    Char-Woody,[p]Dang! 12 seconds that time...one of these days...CRASH!

• Bob, We must both be under radar flight control from Atlanta Airport ..heeee.

• Bob,
    Thanks. Yes, I meant the cap, not the dome. I also had the vent at the bottom over 3" (or more) open. Appreciate your help. My next smoke will be tuna bellies from the pacific rim I brought back from Guam and froze. I would like to smoke for shipping to family etc.. So, I'm loking for recipes. My buddy in seattle does a 24 hour brown sugar salt rub on his famous Christmas smoke salmon, maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the tips.[p][p]
    9or more open