Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Tri Tip

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try to get a Tri Tip today. Before I start cooking, I thought it would be good to know HOW to cook it.[p]Any recomendations?[p]Is this one of those cooks you sear at the end? If so, does that mean you go up to 750 or so, open the dome and cook it direct, just like that?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I just do them direct at 350, flip them every 15 minutes, and pull them at 130-135. -RP

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I grill at 500 to an internal temp of 135. Season with your favorite rub. I like DP's Raising the Steaks. It should take 15/20 minutes. Make sure to slice across the grain. Good luck, Tom

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Thanks, fellers. I love Raisin the Steaks on Steak, so I will try it on this.
    Sounds simple enough that even I could get it right on the first try![p]Thanks again,
    Bob

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Here is the recipe I used at the Eggs-by-the-Bay Eggfest last June. We cooked 12 pounds worth and no one complained.

[ul][li]Santa Maria Style Tritip[/ul]
  • Walter
    Walter Posts: 67
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I've done a 750 sear then 350-400 to finish, 350 for the whole cook, 450-500 for the whole cook... the only thing that really changed was how long it takes to get medium-rare. Other than some excessive charring a few times, the family inhales the finished product. Tri-tip seems to be forgiving - at least for my seemingly endless attempts. The family can't get enough, they love tri-tip cooked in the EGG and won't accept it any other way.

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    You guys are great-Thanks for all the idears!
    I am saving them to my recipe file so I won't have to ask again.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    flashback Bob,
    give up on tri tip around here. they have it salem,nh but it's pricey

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,[p] Actually your Tri-Tip was so bad I had to eat it all so other would not be offended... :D[p]
  • Wakefan
    Options
    Flashback Bob, I follow a simple method for medium rare tri-tips:
    1. Coat with extra-virgin olive oil
    2. apply dizy pig "cowlick" rub
    3. let sit 1 - 2 hours in the fridge
    4. Pull out for 20 - 30 minutes to get closer to room temp
    5. While the meat is out, start the grill
    6. Get it up to 700 degrees - leave vents WIDE OPEN until step 9.
    7. throw on the tri tips for 2 minutes (120 seconds)
    8. flip them for another 1 1/2 minutes (90 seconds)
    9. DO NOT OPEN THE GRILL, just close the vents
    10. remove after 3minutes.
    I am ready to eat in less than 25 minutes from the time I uncover the grill![p]Most of this process came straight from the BGE cookbook under "perfect steaks". Good description. My tritips are only about 6-7 oz, increase the time slightly if you are using larger tri-tips. Have fun!

• Wakefan,
    Are you sure those are tri-tips at 6-7 oz.? I lived on the west coast for a long time and most tri-tips I have seen weighed 3-6 pounds. Just wondered. Bucky