Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great Product!!!! Great Service!!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just purchased the BGE. It is everything we hoped and more. I was orginally looking to replace my gass grill, when we ran across the BGE. I am glad we did. My wife is excited at the possibilities. I used it for the first time today and was impressed with the easy start up, not to mention the wonderful results. Clearly, this is a better way to cook. The service we received from our dealer, Ernie, in Bad Axe, MI. was excellent. It is nice to see a quality product sold by someone dedicated to excellent service!

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Ken Sherrell,
    Welcome to you and your bride to the BGE family. We are here to assist you any way we can. Just ask. It only gets better from here on out.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Ken Sherrell,
    Congratulations on your new BGE, may I ask which size you purchased??? I'm trying to figure out which size I should buy.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• New Bob, We puchased the large one. We like to have people over and often cook for more than just four. If it were just a family of four, we could have easily got buy with the next size down.

• Bordello
    Ken,
    Thanks, I was considering the small but by dealer does not have one for me to see, the price jump from the small to the medium is large, ($220 vs. $430) the jump from medium to large is small, ($430 vs. $499)
    Most of the time I will cook for myself so I wonder if the extra lump consumption is worth it.
    Thanks again.
    New Bob

• JJ
    New Bob,
    Go for the large. I used a large for many years and the consumption of fuel is not that great

• Bordello
    JJ,
    Are you still using the large most of the time????? Thanks for your input.
    New Bob

• JJ
    New Bob,
    Last weekend I used both my large EGG and not the others. Tomorrow I will be doing a tri tip ans will use my large vs the small as I want more space between the charcoal and the the meat. Go for the large and suppliment it with another size later.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    New Bob,[p]I only have a Small and may have a mini this week depending on how things turn out with UPS/halco/my work schedule. The Small, in a word, is awesome. You can do pretty much anything with it and, if you're clever with the timing, you can cook for a decent amount of people. For instance, start some low and slow ribs before guests arrive and take them off right after they get there, kick up the temp a small amount and throw in a mess of wings or maybe a pork loin or something to serve an hour and a half into the party, then let the temps go turbo for some steaks or chops for a grand finale.[p]That being said, if I had the space (read - a house instead of an apartment), I'd definitely get a Large. Every time I see someone post a picture of multiple butts or some silly amount of ribs, I drool on my keyboard. I think the best strategy is get the Large. A few months later when you've sufficiently impressed your family and friends, get the Small for smaller cooks. After that, may as well grab a mini for portability/novelty (I know, the mini may soon be no more so that may screw up my schedule...).[p]Either way you go, you'll be happy with your purchase. If you're worried about price, as I was when I first got my Small, grab the Small when it becomes available and go from there.[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    JJ,[p]"I want more space between the charcoal and the the meat"[p]This is definitely another thing to consider. Sometimes for high heat cooks, it's nice to have a small or mini for things like steaks or chops with the food so close to the heat source. For things like ribs or butts or other low and slow items, though, it's probably nice to have a bigger buffer between meat and heat. That's yet another one of the reasons I want a large.[p]Cornfed
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    New Bob, Hello and welcome New Bob, glad you finally got a "handle" ;) I agree with JJ, get the large if you afford it. I use the large most of the time just cause its easier to stir/mix the coals, and adding more. The cost difference of the charcoal usuage between the two is not very much money when you think about it, neither takes very much, and I find a 20# bag ($8.89/bag) will normally last me about a month if I use only the large and I use it several times a week. The small uses less, but does not offer all the options like the large does such as 12" pizzas, low and slow cooking that will last for 24 plus hours with no refueling.
    JMO. ChefRD

• Bordello
    JJ,
    O.K, you have convinced me. Should I buy the dual function top??? What other eggcessories would you reccomend??
    Thanks for putting up with a "Desert Rat"
    New Bob

• Bordello
    ChefRD,
    Thanks, all of people on this forum are great. It's nice to be here, I will let everyone know what I end up buying.(hopefully tomorrow)
    New Bob

• JJ
    New Bob,
    No prob. I use the slide metal top for everything. That is because that is what was available when I bought my first EGG in '78. Get a v-rack and a plate setter. An ash tool, a pizza stone and you should be OK. I am available anytime you need assistance. Also we have great cooks on the forum that will jump in too.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Ken Sherrell,
    Welcome to the BGE family. You and your family are invited to the first annual Michigan Summer Egg-fest, in Rokford, Michigan on August 18, 2001. Come on over, eat good Q, have fun , and meet other members of the Egg Family.
    Fireball

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Fireball,
    The location is Rockford, Michigan. My typing is falling apart.
    Fireball

• Ken Sherrell,
    Welcome and let me say if you like to cook and eat and watch others enjoy what you cook you have made a right choice. Every way is different look at all opinions and try different ways for each meat.There are some differences of opinion in cooking styles the right way to cook ribs or anything else is the way it works for you. Good luck!

• ChefRD
    New Bob , well, no matter what you choose you will have a great cooker and will enjoy lots of great eats! Let us know what you got and feel free to ask if you have questions (as most all of us did ;)) And if you don't have questions then you're a better cooker than I! :) Best of luck to you.
    Later, ChefRD[p]

• ChefRD
    Ken Sherrell, Welcome to the family of the eggers.
    You are gonna love it and the good foods that you can make using it. Trust me. Try to plan on coming to the next eggfest in michigan, and sharing in the fun, and learning how to use it with all of us here in the 'snow belt'. ;) We may not have the numbers of people that go to other eggfest's but we can have as much fun (or more) as they do!
    Later, ChefRD

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Ken Sherrell,
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase. It will last you a long time. There are literally hundreds of years of combined expertise on this forum to learn from. The people are friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. All you have to do is ask and follow directions. OH and have fun. There are several of us here in Michigan. give a holler if you need something. Go Green.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Cornfed,[p]I have a stainless steel ring (crafted by Mr. Toad's personal metalsmith) that sits on the fire ring, lifting the small Egg's grill to the lip of the dome. Raising the grill makes the small behave like a large.[p]Cathy
  • Cornfed
    Cat,[p]Sounds like a very good idea. Thanks. I wish I had my own personal metalsmith...[p]Cornfed
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Cornfed,
    I have an extra fire ring in my small. It is perfect for raising the grate up to almost the top of the bottom of the EGG.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Cornfed,
    I too wish I had a personal metalsmith! I have been trying to talk YB into moving up here and being my neighbor![p]I have a second grate for my small, and use some broken up chunks of firebricks to elevate the second grate. You loose a few inches of grilling space where the firebrick chunks are, but it works well for most small cooks. It is all I can come up with until YB moves up here.[p]Would be nice if BGE made a smaller extended grate. I use that extended grate a lot on my large, but it won't fit the small. [p]cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,[p]Here is a couple of pictures of my extra grid in the small egg.I bought a 14 1/2" weber grid and 3 1/2" stainless steel carriage bolts from Home Depot,now the little cooks just like the big egg.[p]Larry
    [ul][li]Small egg grate detail[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    YB,
    I can DO this!! Got the grid already, and Home Depot is 3 miles from here. I guess you don't have to move up here yet! But if you do, I will drive some neighbors away so you can buy a house nearby.[p]What type of washers do you use where the bolt grips the upper grate?? Are those just 2 nuts a the bottom of the "legs" ??[p]Thanks!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    Nature Boy,
    I installed the carriage bolt in the grid,put 2 stainless steel washers and a nut on the back side and 2 nuts on the end of the bolt. The nuts act as feet and you can level the grid with them.[p]Larry

• Nature Boy
    YB,
    Beautiful. Thank you my friend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    Nature Boy,