Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Red Beans and Rice

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Saturday, I decided that I needed to use up some Andoulli Sausage and Tasso Ham so I decided to make Red Beans and Rice. As I was preparing the ingredients, I had an inspiration to Egg the beans. I hauled the Cast Iron Dutch oven and started to sauté the veggies and meat. I added the beans and water. When everything was simmering nicely, I transferred the Dutch oven to the small egg with a small chunk of pecan. I let the beans simmer for about one and a half hours at 250 until they were done.[p]The Red Beans and Rice came out very flavorful and my cast iron Dutch oven now has a wonderful smoky aroma to it [p]Life is good,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy RhumAndJerk,
    That sounds awesome. Dutch oven cooking on the small works great. When we did the beans on the camping trip, I sauteed two large chopped onions right in the dutch oven on the egg. They cooked up golden brown, then I added the beans, and rub. The whole thing maintained a beautiful simmer the entire time it cooked. The hickory smoke added a very nice touch.[p]BTW, we were too fat and lazy to clean the dutch oven at camp, so I have a bean encrusted dutch oven waiting to be cleaned. Suggestions???[p]Thanks. Your concoction sounds incredible.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    Easy, Just fill almost full of water, cover and let it boil for five to ten minutes. Then use a spatula or spoon to scrape the bottom and sides. This will loosen the big chunks. On to the sink where you can dump out the hot water and rinse with hot tap water. At this point you can use a green pad without soap and more hot tap water to loosen any remaining food. You do need a heavy pair of kitchen gloves or potholders because everything is hot. [p]Once the Dutch oven is clean, return it to the same burner that you heated it on. Take a paper towel and finish drying the cast iron. Sprinkle a little bit of oil in the bottom and coat the inside using another paper towel. Finish with a third paper towel to remove any excess oil.[p]I do not worry about the outside. Unless it has a lot of soot, it could be wiped off with wiped with one of the oily paper towels that were used on the inside. When this is done I just place it in the oven to finish cooling. I actually store my cast Iron in the Oven. You do need some air circulation about the cast iron, so just do not stack them and forget about them.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Nature Boy,[p]What size dutch oven fits the small BGE?
  • RhumAndJerk
    PRobinson,
    I will check mine tonight, but I think that it is a standard 6-quart Lodge or Wagner Dutch Oven with a cast iron lid.
    R&J[p]

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks. I have been using your method of cleaning.....actually most everything know about CI I have learned from you. Have not had anything this crusty yet. Soon after eating the beans at camp, the remaining cup or so of beans was frozen solid in the pot. Nothing like eating outdoors in the upper teens.[p]Boiling will work great. Thanks! I have been storing the pots/pans in our oven based on your previous suggestion. Works great. We use our cast iron cookware more than I ever imagined. And it was your original post about seasoning those guys on your egg that got me started!![p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    PRobinson,
    I have the Wagner "original" 5 quart dutch oven. Mine came with a glass lid, but I cook without the lid on the egg, so it is fine for me. Seasoning them on the egg works beautifully.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    I think that C~W was the first to suggest seasoning new Cast Iron on the egg. I may have the original post that I made on seasoning. If it is time for a repost, I will hunt it down.
    R&J[p]