Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great chicken Taste

Options
Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished some great chicken legs. I used that caribbean jerk marinade w/papaya juice. I really recommend this stuff.1hr in the stuff then 30min. on the egg at 300. Turn each 10 min. Use apple wood to smoke. Have a salad and corn on the cobb. Heart doc will like it and you will too. Sunny and spring in Springfield Mo. today life is good. Uncle Dave

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    Which Jerk did you use? I like the idea of Papaya Juice for Juice.
    RhumAndJerk

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    RhumAndJerk & Uncle Dave,
    Remember too, that the Papain from the papaya fruit is the best, most natural meat tenderizer known. You've hit the best of two worlds![p]Just a little tid bit of information![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    I have wanted to try marinating in papaya, but the fruit does not last long in my house.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I've never tasted the actual fruit. My Mom clued me into this "tenderizer" years ago. Then I read about it in a book authored by some GI during WWII. You can find it almost in its original state only dry by buying Adolf's Tenderizer (All Natural) No sodium and No MSG. It has a blue & white label with a blue cap. There are other varieties from Adolf's so be sure to look for the blue cap and make sure it says no sodium and no msg.[p]Cheers![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Papayas are wonderful fruits. They come in both large and small. Most of us are familiar with the smaller green fruits. The big ones look more like a squash or a melon. If they fruit is not ripe, then it is called a pawpaw. A few years ago, I got a larger Papaya, stuffed it and baked it. It was a neat side dish with Jerked Pork. The recipe even had Jerk Pork in the stuffing. I only see the large papayas about twice a year when they are in season where ever they are grown.[p]The small ones we just peel, seed and eat. We also include them in a smoothie. The fruit is very good for you.[p]RhumAndJerk

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I'll have to start lookin' for them. :-)))
    We "Midwesterners" are somewhat deprived when it comes to exotic fruits & veggies. Last time I picked some up, my wiffey asked; "What's this?" She was referring to an avacodo! :-)))
    Thankgoodness there's an ample supply of beef and pork around! And chicken, and turkey, and fish, and deer and.....................[p]
    Dr. Chicken