Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing and reheating pulled pork

cbs
cbs Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sorry this is sort of a second post since I started it yesterday. Anyway, I'm smoking a couple of butts this weekend for a party next Friday night. I've read the archives and seen all kinds of suggestions, but what's the best way to freeze, reheat and serve? I've got a foodsaver and will freeze it pulled and then reheat it in boiling water. My questions are more along the lines of:[p](1) I've seen mention of using coke when reheating. Is that necessary? If so, do you freeze it with the coke in it or just put it in when reheating? If not freezing with coke, is there any other liquid to freeze it with so it comes out moist when you boil it?[p](2) What's the easiest way to serve it? Our typical method is to let each person put some pork on the bread and then pour on the sauce. It occurs to me that the dry pork sitting in a crock pot won't work so it might be easier to serve if I sauce the whole deal and then put it in a crock pot. Is there a better alternative? [p]Thanks. [p]

Comments

• cbs,
    I would use the juice from the drip pan so u get the full flavor of your pork.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    cbs,
    If you foodsave it right after you get it pulled, you won't see any difference in the product after reheating. It will be moist and smokey just like when you pulled it. -RP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    cbs,
    i add a tablespoon of coke and a tablespoon of low sodium chicken broth to the bag, then add the meat and vacuum seal. reheat in boiling water later. always worked well that way for me. if there is way more than enough let the guests take what they want and make there own from the crock. i stage the reheat so there is always some getting served hot and just use a roasting pan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Thanks for the tips so far. [p]What about saucing before serving? Can I serve it in the crock pot unsauced and let people do it their own way, or should I sauce the whole mess after reheating?
  • cbs,
    Here in NW Ohio we like to freeze the pork already sauced and then when reheating just put the pork in a roaster and add a can of your favorite BEER and it will be better than when first pulled. If this doesn't work for you just drink the beer and give the pork to the dog!!LOL Just kidding, It always comes out fantastic using this method.