Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuck top

Options
GoodEgg
GoodEgg Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked some butts recently and now I can't raise the top. What is the solution?

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    goodegg,[p]Assuming you are in a freeze zone.... With snow or freezing rain.... That's the only time mine has stuck shut, and the best (only) way to free it up is to get a fire going in it... however you can manage.[p]Don't pry on it, or use a torch around the outside.[p]Mike in MN

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    goodegg,[p]It could also be greasy BBQ goo acting like glue. Starting a fire works for that, too. Its a pain to start a fire with the lid locked down, so I use a propane weed burner. Easy does it, or it will cause thermal shock and crack the ceramic. Good Luck. Let us know what works.[p]Woody
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    goodegg,[p] Lower a lite 100 watt bulb down through the top vent and waiting a while might warm it up enough to open it.[p] I doubt that you toasted the gasket at a lo 'n' Slo temps, unless you are leaving out something.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    goodegg,
    If the 100w light isn't doable, Someone recently suggested lighting some starter cubes (weber, i think) and drop them down the chimney to generate some heat on the inside.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    goodegg,
    When my egg froze from freezing rain, I removed the rain cap and opened the lower vent all the way. I then pushed in a firestarter cube, (the same way I do for a high temp cook), and the dome was thawed out in a few minutes.
    If you fused the gasket material together from high heat, you will have to use a thin knife (or hacksaw blade) to separate the dome from the bottom.
    HTH
    ron.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    ...or toss one in the lower vent.
    ...or crumpled newspaper down low, too.[p]those will catch your residual lump.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante