Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table Top

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received a new medium Egg for an early Christmas gift. This is an addition to a large egg I received in May. I am wanting to construct a table for both. The length will be 70". I am trying to decide the best countertop to use. I have three different materials that I am considering. Corian, granite, and tile. I would prefer seamless. I like the weight of Corian. The table will probably be a combination of treated pine and cedar. Any comments or suggestions???? I want it to last forever!
I have viewed all of the pics at the Naked Whiz's site.

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    a tough choice:

corian- i like it for the smooth finish - concerned about the heat next to the BGE unless you have some barrier between-possible some BGE felt gasket

granite- needs to be treated to prevent staining from food. is heavy & costly to buy & have cut. would also suggest the use of felt gasket insulation to prevent cracking due to heat.

tile-sounds like a great idea, but i don't like the grouting edges where food can accumulate.

how about a sheet of stainless steel ?

after all my thinking through this, i'd opt for the CORIAN
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    LoNOx,
    What part of the country do you live in?
    Will it be left in one place outdoors? (It sounds like it'll be too big for you to be moving it in and out.) If so,are you planning to cover it or leave it exposed? (the egg will be fine, it's the table materials that will be affected).[p]

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning LoNOx,
    Check out what Dupont has to say about Corian & direct heat.
    Cheers,
    bruce

[ul][li]http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/corian/corian_care.html[/ul]
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    LoNOx, I am reworking the table for my large and medium. In the summer, I scored a cheap piece of corian. I would not use corian, if I had to pay retail. I doubt it will hold up more than a couple years outside: I live in north TX. My table is at Whiz's site. In addition to the Corian, I'm adding a cabinet. My table is 72 inches long. I wish it was 84 inches plus the folding leaves on each end. I'm hoping to finish it by the weekend. Tom

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    LoNOx,
    treated pine won't serve you any better above grade (in the open air) than untreated, believe it or not). if you are using cedar for some of it, you might want to go cedar on the whole thing. it won't cost much more. cedar is naturally resistant to insects and rot (neither of which could really ever be a concern for a table unless the feet were sitting on soil).[p]exposed treated pine (like for decks, etc.) is quickly rendred UNtreated after exposure to rain and drying. And then, the poor quality of the wood is even more apparent, as it checks and splits. no one enjoys bare feet on a PT deck...[p]stick with cedar, and the table will last as long (perhaps longer even) than PT, and it'll look MUCH better.[p]corian might be a great option. stone would be heavy, which is a consideration if you want to move it.[p]post a pic

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Slap-Yo-Mama
    Options
    LoNOx,
    I used granite and it worked out great. I got a couple of pieces free from a granite shop that was moving. I made a couple of straight cuts using a diamond blade in a circular saw. I had the hole cut by a machine shop that had an abrasive water jet cutter. This made a perfect round hole in 1 1/4" granite. They charged me $75. The only down side is it is a HEAVY setup.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    badbruce,
    although, if he provides an airspace as with wood, there wouldn't be an issue.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning stike,
    Exactly and the use of trivets would help stabilize the egg.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    LoNOx,
    I made a table out of Corian for my mini egg and it has held up really well.
    Larry

[ul][li]Corian Table[/ul]
  • LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    Options
    I live in Southern Illinois. About 60 miles north of Paducah, KY.
    I should have added that in the past I was a co-owner of a cabinet shop and I have been to the Corian fabrication/installation school in Nashville, TN.
    I have moved on to the power generation field though. I called the installer that fabbed the Corian for our kitchen last year. Today, he was at St. Louis installing Corian on a HUGE outdoor kitchen. He said it would work great on the table and from my past experience, I agree. I will allow an air gap around the eggs and I have several trivets. I am going to fax him a sketch tonight for a quote. He said he had several colors in stock. So far, a message I left at a granite shop has not been returned.

• LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    Options
    stike,
    The treated pine will only be used for the frame. None of it will be exposed. It is premium select KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) I believe cedar will the the cabinet exterior(painted white). T&G 1x's for the sides and back and raised panel doors in the front. I will have venting in the floor. It will not have rollers, but will be movable. I am also planning on having a cover made for it.