Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help !!!!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife came home with a 3 pound "flat" brisket = most of the brisket recipes I have seen are with larger briskets and none mentioned "flat" cuts. How will the above change how I smoke this piece of meat? Are we still talking about 1 to 1.5 hours per pound, do I still turn every hour? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks again

Comments

• Charly
    Charly Posts: 23
    jfol,
    I would do indirect at 250 degrees until fork tender.Leave the "fat side" up thru out the cook.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Charly, good plan..that about covers it.
    It will cook faster and is usually the first part finished in a whole brisket. It will be the more sliceable piece while the "point" is more fiberous muscle tissue and shreds almost like "P"Pork.
    C~W[p]

• jfol,If you're like me, any problems with brisket or butt will come from not cooking long enough. You'll appreciate a Polder remote thermometer. Slow cook the brisket indirect at a temp of 220-250 degrees until the internal temp of the brisket is 200. No need for a pan of liquid or foil. Just some lump, good wood and your egg and let it go

• jfol,
    Everyone is different. Go two hrs at 250 direct. Then remove lay on double foil sheets,curl up foil around it to form a crude bowl pour on 2/3 of a beer then throw a full sliced sweet onion on then cover with a foil lid. Back to the egg for 3hrs at 200. Pull it off pull back that foil see what the beer and onion has done. You will be a hero./ You can cut this with a plastic fork. Every ones way is right, this is mine! Good luck

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    jfol,[p]I agree with Uncle Dave, everyone is different. I cook them indirect (over an empty drip pan - to catch the drippings only) at a dome temp of 210-230°F. My flats tend to be 5-6 lbs and the average cook takes 12-15 hours. [p]The fat layer tends to be not very nice (less than 1/8" thick, bare spots, ect). I trim the fat layer entirely off, rub the meat (flavoring the meat), and cook overnight, smoking early in the cook while the meat is cool. In the morning the internal temperature will be in the 160-170°F range. I then add a layer of fat over the flat. I do like to use beef fat, but will use slab bacon. The bacon can be later used for some serious BLT's. The internal temp will stall after this addition.[p]I start to check the doneness of the meal when it reaches 180°F. It has never been done at this temp but gives me a feeling for the meat. I check doneness by vertically inserting a table fork into it. It is done when the fork slips easily out upon removal. For me, this happens in the 183-189°F range.[p]The meat is never turned during the entire cook.[p]Spin[p]