Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic: skin side up or down?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
or does it not matter? any advantage to removing the skin, leaving the fat layer?
thanks
ken

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Ken Baker,
    advantage to removing the skin and excess fat will be to [p]1. let the smoke get into the meat better
    2. develop that nice bark on the meat[p]its a pain, but remove that skin and fat. ..[p]then it doesnt' matter which side is up . ..[p]

• eggaholic
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    When I do picnic's I score the skin like doing a ham works great to get rub and more smoke to the meat.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Ken Baker,
    Hey Kenny; I just finished cooking up 16 of these at one time for a cater this past weekend. Not sure how they trim em at the packing houses down your way, but these ones had the rind on one side with just a little ring that wrapped around the shank bone on the other. I seasoned the exposed side and slapped the rind side down on the grill. It allowed me to cook a little hotter (250 or so) and get the job done without drying out the bottom of the roast.
    If it's just one and you're in no rush, sure, cut off the rind and gain that extra 'barkable' surface on the roast. I like that 'buffer' the rind gives on one side though if you're doing a volume or don't have the time to babysit a longer, lower cook. Holds in the rendered juices/fat too, which adds a bit of richness as I find the picnics a little leaner and drier than a butt by nature.
    Qfan