Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg owner in the New Orleans area (Tiger fan)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ordered my Large BGE Today and should have it soon, thanks to the responses on this forum. I saw a few Tiger fans around last week (class of 1997). Looking forward to doing Ribs right of the bat! I'm in Norco of all places.[p]Matt

Comments

• bayouegger
    Options
    Welcome! I too am new (got my Egg in October). I also live in the New Orleans area, Covington. Not a Tigers fan though, ROLLTIDE!

Steve
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    matt,[p]Welcome from Slidell. I have two kids that graduated from LSU. You will really enjoy the egg. Last week I did a Chisesi ham using the Root Beer glazed black ham recipe posted by Tom Fitzmorris. It was absolutely outstanding and easy to do. I think this is popular as a New Years dish.[p]Fitzmorris spends more and more time on his show covering the egg (1350 on the radio dial in the afternoon). I believe Garland Robinette may even have one now.[p]Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. Saw that the structures for the bonfires are going up on the levees. Are the smoke houses open in LaPlace? I forgot the names, but I would drive over from Slidell before the storm just to get good andouille.

• matt,
    I am from Bastrop, northeast Louisiana. But i'm a huge tiger fan myself. Just wanted to let yall know that there are quite a few of us LSU fans here in northern Louisiana....i can't wait to see who we'll play in a bowl game...:)

• El Jefe
    Options
    matt,
    baton rouge, here. lsu class of 1997, as well. welcome to the club and GEAUX TIGERS!!!

• BOBF,
    I listen to Fitz Saturday and he talked about it some. The ham sounds great, its also on my list. [p]I know that smokehouse you are talking about, I can't remember the name. I've been twice since the storm, the andouille is the best there.
    Thanks for responding.
    Matt

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    heya matt,[p]welcome to Eggland! you're gonna like it here :P[p]Tish a.k.a bbqdiva[p]P.S a digital camera is required, as we love to drool over your Egg masterpieces!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    matt,
    Spring Hen and I went to LSU, probably back before you were even born, and our nephew just graduated from there. A lot less to learn back then. That was enough.[p]You'll enjoy your Big Green Egg.[p]Spring "Gradutated In The 3-R's: Read'n, Rit'n, Spel'n an Cypher'n" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• bwallass
    Options
    matt,
    congrats on the egg.
    lafayette here, Ragin Cajun, but I got my law degree at LSU.
    If you're ever back in BR, Goodwood Hardware has alot of cool Egg and BBQ stuff[p]Smoke some boudin.
    Did some on T-day and got wonderful responses.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    bwallass,[p]Tried making boudin a few years back without the egg and it was kind of mushy, but great flavor. Lost the recipe and google has too many. Care to share. TIA

• Metalhead
    Options
    matt,
    Finally Matt....what took you so long? I know that was my thoughts after a couple of cooks on this most eggselent EGG. Welcome aboard and have fun. [p]P.S. They call charcoal lump.....it took me about 2 wks to figure that out, course I only gots a hi-school eggumacation.

• bwallass
    Options
    Richard,
    I'd share if I had it
    I didn't make the boudin, just bought some good quality links and put 'em in the egg for a while with a lot of smoke.[p]I buy Billeaud's in Broussard, la, but if you don't have a good local shop, the Richard's brand that you can find in many supermarkets is pretty good too.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Richard,
    if your trying to make boudin, keep it simple.
    Boil pork butts and use 5% pork liver while your boiling the meat. Use just enough water to cover meat. Boil until tender and season water a little spicy. After meat is tender, coarse grind butt and liver, mix with cooked rice and add stock from boiling meat, your actually making a rice dressing. Add green onions and adjust seasoning, stuff rice dressing into casing and VOILA...... you have boudin. This makes an eggcellent stuffing for whole chickens too. You can also make whats called boudin balls.Chill rice dressing and instead of putting rice dressing in casing, make balls like you would meat balls and you can either cook them on the egg ( heating them up is all you need ) or you can fry them.[p]btw......... Lafayette here.