Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I tried to use this green egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had to clean out this building so I could do some rehab work for a bank. As I was cleaning out this huge pile of lumber and other debris I found this heavy (very) green egg smoker/cooker/grill thingy ma bob. I tried to use it (found this site using the amazing search engine) but I think I git it too hot and made new lump from the steak. I am not sure what to do. After reading some of your comments this things sounds like it is a whole new level of cooking. The pics of some of the grub you guys made is driving me crazy (I want some of that!!)
I did notice I don't have a damper on the bottom of the BGE and that was prob why I ruined my dish. I have no instructions other than what I got off the main web site.[p]Any help would be great seeing I loaded this thing up on my truck and off loaded it at my house ( it has to weigh about 125-140lbs)[p]Thanks

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Lead Hammer,
    You can check out my website for some tips and ideas, and definately check out the Naked Whiz`s website....And you will HAVE to have a lower vent to control temps....find your local dealer and get all of the parts you are mmissing....HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Lead Hammer
    Options
    Thanks I will get the lower damper and check out those sites thanks. I have been living in Okinawa Japan and have seen smaller versions of this grill. I didn;t notice the missing damper until I found some pictures of a bge on the main site. I live in Northern Indiana now and its corn and beef country. I am pretty excited about cooking up some food like I have seen in this site.
  • Lead Hammer,
    You have to be the luckiest guy in the world to come across a free egg...:)...the small amount of money it takes to repair it will be well worth the investment. These are high dollar smokers.

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Lead Hammer,[p]I've found the most useful info came from sites of other owners. I've put together several on the site below.
    [ul][li]Owners' sites and other info[/ul]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Lead Hammer,
    Can you take a picture of this thing and let us look at it?

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Lead Hammer,[p]You should change your handle to Lucky Dog. Tips:[p]1. The BGE phone no. for parts and advice is 770-934-5300.
    2. If you read the FAQ page at www.nakedwhiz.com, you will earn a heckuva lot.
    3. Controlling the air flow is the big key to temp control. If the hole in the bottom does not have a sliding door, it will be dang near impossible to control the temp (hence the burnt steak).
    4. start slow, it takes some learning. Suggest grilling first before long slow cooks with smoke. Experimentation is half the fun of it.
    5. make sure you have a dome thermometer (measures the inside temp)
    6. always use a meat thermometer to take the guess work out of it
    7. you can learn everything you need to know right here[p]Good luck

• ArvadaMan
    Options
    Lead Hammer,[p]I am both shocked and stunned. How could someone abandon an egg? A free egg. You are a lucky man. Once you get it repaired and have absorbed some wisdom from the forum, I think you will get that steak you are after.[p]I was never a steak fan until I got an egg. Before then, I had all manor of tough, shoe-leather, steaks. I was never willing to pay the price to get a fine steakhouse steak. Now, with the egg, I easily churn out steaks that restaurants wish they could make.[p]Keep reading and good luck.
  • Lead Hammer
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The way everyone here is siked about the find is getting me ready to do more flammage. After looking at some of the instructions I found out that I would have creamated my steak no matter what. I loaded the lump past the full point. I am just glad I didn't ruin the BGE. I loaded it about 4" past the ring. Man an I dumb. Anyway I will take a picture as requested. I think the only thing thats missing is the vent on the bottom.
    I am going to get this thing going ASAP because all these pics(of food) I see are driving me crazy. :silly:

Thanks for the info and the feed back on a great find.