Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts on.....

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Butt_with_JJs_rub.jpg
<p />Mr. Big. First time using JJ's rub on a butt. Full load of lump. Good steady fire. What could be better.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Carl T, It looks great, let us know the uniformity of this cook when finished. I like that air suspension system.
    C~W[p]

• Carl T
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Will do. I put the butt on around 9:30 pm CT. I will insert the polder probe in the morning. It has been holding steady at 240. I will give the lump a gentle stir before I turn in.

• Carl T, looks like a winnah...Yummers!
    C~W

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Carl T,[p]In a food speakin way.....that's a great lookin butt.
    6 pounder Carl?????[p]Looks like you and I have a similar table setup. 1 large and 1 medium is what's goin on @ MickeyT's house.[p]Don't forget to show us your finished product. Can't miss with JJ's rub.[p]Mick

• Carl T
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]It was about a six pounder. It was on sale at 1.19/lb and cost about 6.50. I always forget to look at the weight on the wrapper before I pitch it.[p]My table has a large and a small egg. I wouldn't part with either.[p]Going to pick up a brisket flat and try my first attempt at jerky tomorrow. I think I am going to use the toothpick method.[p]Carl T
  • MickeyT
    Options
    Carl,[p]I have done jerky with toothpicks about 12 times now and my experience is that the jerky probably won't all be done at the same time. I pull each pc. off as it looks done. Can't beat the texture of brisket IMHO.[p]Good luck.[p]Mick

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    MickeyT.,Is that the cut you prefer for jerky? (brisket)
    Have you tryed outside/inside round yet?
    I would love to try a brisket some time for jerky but it`s not real popular round these parts....
    Flank would be nice but it`s so freakin expensive.[p]I have another 4 pounds of round marinating right now for a afternoon cook tomorrow...[p]Mop!

• MickeyT
    Options
    Mop,[p]BearFan uses that and his jerky is damn near as good as mne. 00
    >[p]I just like the texture of the brisket jerkey.[p]Mick