Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Ribeye

Herm
Herm Posts: 206
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DryAgedRibeye.jpg[p]This was the most incredible steak I've ever had. Dry Aged Ribeye from Wholefoods, hot tubbed and seared for 90 seconds per side, topped with gorgonzola butter, and paired with a great wine. It was truly incredible.

Comments

• Herm,
    nice!
    but what's that green thingy?
    j/k[p]i like the shallow depth of field...

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Heya Herm,[p]That looks fantastic! [p]I dry aged an entire ribeye, believe it or not, in my second fridge over the summer. It was a little scary.
    Was in touch with my butcher during the entire process. I held in there for 10 ten days....then I got a little nervous! They were the best steaks I've ever tasted :-) [p]Regards,[p]Tish a.k.a bbqdiva

• bbqdiva
    Heya Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]That's mold Rick, you get that on dry aged meat sometimes, rofl....................arggggh! (shhhhhhh, it's called a
    v-e-g-g-i-e-t-a-b-l-e!)

• Herm,
    That looks pissah! When you get a spare fridge, I'll walk you through the process, you'll be eating that stuff as often as you can stand to cook it.
    Check out NEBS when you get a chance, there's a big cook-off coming up in Jan. Let me know if you're into it.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

[ul][li]New England BBQ Society[/ul]
  • Herm
    Citizen Q,[p]thanks Sean. I have a spare fridge, but it's normally filled with beer. But after that steak last night, I might be willing to sacrifice some room.
    I'll be in touch!

• bbqdiva
    Heya Herm,[p]Here's the link to the dry aging technique I used at home.[p]I researched it quite a bit before trying it. Didn't want to ruin a whole ribeye or end up sick :-)[p]Regards,[p]bbqdiva

[ul][li]Dry Aging Beef[/ul]
  • Citizen Q,
    Hey, I have a spare fridge, circa 1970s, avacodo green, has the coldest beer in Baton Rouge. I'd love to know about your ageing method. Thanks!

• Herm
    bbqdiva,[p]Thanks! I think I might have to give it a try. I can't stop thinking and talking about how amazing that steak was last night.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    bbqdiva,
    gotta be carefule, make sure the fridge temp is below 40...[p]i had a spare fridge in the basement, and all was well the frst few days, but it got slimy and not good at all (there's a BIG difference between dry-aged 'funk' and spoiled meat!).[p]i took my thermapan and found the meat was 45 in the center, after a week. [p]fwoomp. into the trash.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • El Jefe,
    A beer fridge is perfect. Mine is a 1972, avacado green Gibson Frost Free. Make sure it's clean and there is nothing else in there that can give off odors, the meat will take it in and be ruined. Also make sure no fuel, solvents or solvent based paints are stored anywhere in the vicinity of the fridge. You will need an easily readable and accurate thermometer to keep inside the fridge placed somewhere you can access it quickly. A keychain type hanging from the front of the top shelf works well. Monitor the temp over a few days and make sure that your fridge holds a constant 37-38 degrees, making whatever adjustments are needed. [p]Clear the bottom shelf and make sure the second shelf is high enough to allow manueverability and airflow. [p]Use whole cuts only. I do boneless rib roasts and whole sirloin strips, USDA Choice or better. Sometimes I buy 7- bone export ribs and trim the bones off for barbeque while I age the roast. [p]Unwrap and rinse the meat well under cold water, pat dry with paper towels and place the meat on an elevated raised wire rack. I use one of those stackable stainless steel folding cookie sheet oven/cooling racks. Fill a shallow bowl with water and immerse a folded paper towel in the dish with one corner folded up extending out of the bowl, this will act as a wick.[p]Set rack on that bottom shelf over a layer of damp paper towels. Slide the bowl with the wick beneath the rack and remove the proper quantity of beer you will need for the rest of the day. Close the fridge and do not open for 24 hours. [p]Every day for the next 2 weeks, as quickly as you can, follow these steps:
    1. Open fridge and verify proper temp.
    2. Check water bowl and wick, refill if low.
    3. Check paper towel for drippings, replace if dirty, spritz with spray bottle if clean but dry.
    4. Spritz the surface of the meat. Always use fresh water from a clean spray bottle.
    5. Every fourth day, flip the meat top to bottom and rotate front to back.
    6. Remove your required quantity of beer for the rest of the day and close the door.[p]I usually run between 24-28 days, but get excellent results in as little as 14. Trim the dry outer crust and any mold completely before slicing into steaks or roasts.[p]TIP: Time the aging of your meat so that is does not overlap with any holidays or family functions that would require the use of the fridge. The fridge needs to be dedicated to holding beer and dry aging beef for the duration and should never be opened any more than is absolutely neccessary to monitor progress.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• bbqdiva
    heya stike,[p]Exactly! You have to be VERY careful and there IS a fine line between dry aged and rotten. You are correct, that temp has to be below 40. You don't want to end up sick.[p]My butcher offered to hand the next one for me in his walk-in cooler, think I'll go that route because I know his cooler is consistent as far as temp goes. Maybe I can age it longer that way.[p]Like you , I tested the meat temp every day during the cloth change. I only went ten days into it, that was risy enough for me!

• bbqdiva
    Heya Herm,[p]Stike brought up an excellent point. If you decide to try dry aging, make sure you test the internal temp of the meat every day to make sure it is 40 degrees or below. Anything above that, and you'll end up with a rotten, slimy mess that could possibly make you sick :P

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    bbqdiva,
    i didn't do the cloth thing....[p]21 days is the start of real pay-back. i have a source for 45 day stuff, which i like so much, i might have to take out a home-equity loan soon.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bbqdiva
    heya stike,[p]
    think i'll take my butcher up on the walk-in cooler space and give a try at hanging one! so darn expensive to buy already aged.