Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef briskit

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does the amount of meat on the bge change te overall cooking time?
I cooked a beef briskit last week end 4.5 lbs for 7.5 hrs. @250 dgrs. it was fantastic.
Today ive got 2 pcs. of briskit on @ 6.25 lbs each for 10 hrs. @ 250 dgrs.
Should the overall cooking time per pound change due to the amount of meat on the bge?
Now i am basically cooking the meat @ 1.6666 hrs. per pound--shouldnt that be the same regardless of the amount of meat on the bge?
Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Dale Benton,
    The amount of meat won't make a difference, it's the weight of each piece of meat that makes the difference.[p]A bigger piece of meat takes longer than a smaller one.[p]Also time is just a general guide. Internal temp and the "feel" of the meat is more important.[p]It's done when it's done.[p]Bob

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya Dale Benton,[p]No the amount, or number of pieces on the egg does not change the cooking time. The weight of each piece would of course. As long as you keep your temp consistent with your last cook and all other variables the same, cooking time should remain the same.[p]However, I HAVE found that the amount of meat covering the grid area can effect how I adjust the vent and damper to achieve my desired temperature. So, I see your thought process in asking the question.[p]Good Luck,[p]Tish

• Every piece of meat is different. The amount of fat and connective tissue, moisture content, etc. all go into how long it will take to cook. That is why time per pound should never be more than a guideline. Always cook to temp.