Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which egg?

Options
billt
billt Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any concensus which egg is the best the medium 15" or Large 18.5". Also it appears there was an XL that no longer exists? correct.?
Bill

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Bill,
    I have a large, but have also used the medium. They still have an XL but I have not tried it so can't comment. The large and medium will both work just fine, it's just a matter of how much you need to cook. If it were me I'd go with the large.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Bill,
    Which can you afford? Which do you want? Many of our Forum members on one of each size some own several copies of the large etc. etc. etc. Your final choice will be the right one for you. Read through the thousands of posts and see if the answer has been asked before. It's been asked but never answered.[p]I just got through watching the DaVinci Code.

• Metalhead
    Options
    Bill,
    Today I was at the BGE eggquarters and they in fact do have the xl size. They even have a 1/2 baking stone for the xl. One of the helpful staff even showed me the tiny little plate setter for the small BGE. My opinion of the size is go with the Large. Good luck and don't forget to couple your purchase w/a digital camera so we can all see the great food!!!!!!!!!1

• I have a large and the only time I think It would be nice to have a XL is when I have to put a 20 LB turkey on it. The rest of the time the large is good for the two of two guests and us.

• Bill,
    i have a medium and i love it. i reckon if i had a large, i'd love it too! i got the medium so i can pick it up and take it to nascar races. [p]let your wallet and strength of your back guide you...

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Bill,
    The large seems to the the consensus first Egg recomendation. Although like mentioned if money is an issue the go with what works. There are lots of Eggcessories for the large but it sounds like the small and XL are catching up.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Bill,
    I Have a large, small and XL. I would have to definately agree with the most everyone else that the large is the most versatile. I have been using the small more recently for shorter cooks such as steak and chicken. The XL is mostly for show. I did use it on thanksgiving to cook 2 15lb turkeys and it came in very handy. Gonna put it to the rib test soon. My wife says im compensating for something. I have no idea what she is talking about.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I keep talking XL to the wife. I enjoy having folks over and when I cook I compensate :>) and go for the more more and more theme.
    Plus I figure I could feed our whole church with the pulled pork I could cook on an XL/L combo....plus on on the small :>)

• Sundown,[p]> I just got through watching the DaVinci Code. [p]
    Did you read the book first?
    The movie is pretty good, but you r-e-a-l-l-y have to pay attention to get some of the subtlies of the book.

• You'd have to have a pretty strong back to carry a large around.
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Bill,[p]The extra cost of the large over the Med. is not that much dough for the increased versatility a large would offer. If you want portability other than rolling it around your yard, the large is definitely a two person job. [p]Woody

• Bill,[p]If you're not planning to move it around, the large is a very good choice. True, you're not likely to go tailgating with it or cook a single burger (although I have been known to cook several of my grandmother's special-recipe garlic-salt burgers, chill them and eat at room temperature on Kaiser rolls as I did when I was a child).[p]But otherwise it's extremely versitile and with the use of vertical roasters, rib racks (or inverted V-racks) can hold a surprising amount of food.[p]I'd say if you entertain A LOT or have a really big family you might like the XL, but I must say I haven't been tempted.[p]Good luck![p]David