Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sick of turkey?? Help me cook a YAK roast!

Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother lost a bet to me, and the payoff was his choice of meat product valued at $75 or more. He has delivered to me a package of mixed "exotic" meats. I can figure out what to do with the rabbit, venison and elk, but I'm a bit stumped on the Yak Chuck Tenderloin!![p]Anybody have any thoughts on how to prepare this cut of meat?? It's pretty small, about a pound or so, but my current thoughts are to come up with some sort of marinade, then cook it up like a steak to medium rare.[p]Help???[p]Thanks![p]Rich

Comments

• Rich G,my son raved about the yak he had on a long trip through Nepal a few years ago. Said it was better than steak, etc... Where did yours come from ? Sorry, I do not know how to cook it.....

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    tnslagamater,[p]Not sure where my brother got it, but I'll ask him and post back here for you. Barring any other suggestions, I'll look around for some Nepalese recipes for some herb/flavoring ideas for a marinade.[p]Should be an adventurous lunch today![p]Rich
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Rich G,
    It's sure got me surfing! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Maybe thirdeye will pop in, I'm pretty sure he has cooked everything from this planet.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Rich G,
    .By your description of gormet cuts,you would more than likely treat it like a tenderlion or filet.Cook medium rare or to your taste.Sorry on the first post ,but on the Primo forum it was described as a tough as nails cut of meat .But no mention where it came from on the animal.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Rich G,
    i vote no marinade, some oil, salt, pepper, etc.[p]that is, unless you find that nepalese recipe you are looking for.[p]why no marinade? well, you might not ever have it again, and it'd be shame to say "i had yak once, it tasted like teryaki..." [p]it probably has little fat. if i had no other info, and had to cook one, i'd season with the oil/salt/pepper and do a high heat roast (500 or so) and yank the yak at 135. or do a ridiculous sear all sides for a couple minutes each at 800+, drop the temp to 400, and roast to 135. it'll keep going on the counter and end up maybe 140 or so.[p]i'm a big fan of going simple the first time. nothing on the first few oysters til you' ve tasted them, no butter on the steamers or lobster til you are a few bites in, etc.[p]go for the naked yak!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Looks like they produce yak here in the western part of Colorado. Check out the link below:

http://yakmeat.us/index.html

Arvadaman
  • Rich G,[p]Looks like they produce yak here in the western part of Colorado. Check out the link below: [p]http://yakmeat.us/index.html [p]Arvadaman

[ul][li]http://yakmeat.us/index.html[/ul]
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Arvadaman,
    looks like stike called it. keep it simple for the best flavor experience. thanks for the research!