Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resume temperature

Options
Eggin-smurff
Eggin-smurff Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So OK, you get the egg all set up, filled up with enough lump and light the fire. Then you stabilize the temp around 350. You let it burn until the smoke clears out. Then you are ready for the turkey.[p]So you open up the egg, sprinkle wood chips, in goes the plate setter, little green egg feet, drip pan, V rack, turkey, temperature probe, etc. By the time you close the egg, the dome temp has dropped dramatically. Not only have you let the accumulated heat out, but also introduced a lot of cold thermal mass.[p]So now the question(s), how long does it take for the dome temp to return to 350? Should I just wait and be assured I have every thing set right? Should I open up the DFMT a bit to allow the temp to rise? Can I even trust the dome thermometer since there’s a huge cold turkey right under it?[p]How do you handle this? Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Oh yea, and I made sure the tip of the dome thermometer wasn't touching the turkey.[p]Any help will be appreciated. The turkey's cooking now and need to know if I need to adjust things.
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya Eggin-smurff,[p]My dome temp ran around 290-300 and the birds cooked at within the Mad Max recipe cook time, which I calculated to be around 40 mins per lb. They turned out great![p]So I'm assuming the cold bird does effect the dome temp and the fact that it's acting like a damper itself, blocking air flow.[p]Yeah, do what you need to bring the temp back up, and I found that I did have to open the vents a tad more than a usual 350 cook, just to push a little more air thru there.[p]Good Luck,[p]Tish a.k.a bbqdiva

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Thanks! I did open up the vents a bit and it's currently cruising at about 290 and it never got over 300. However, it's a 19 lb bird and it's only been on the Egg less that two hours and the Polder is already up to 127 breast temp! At that rate it'll be done way too soon, dont you think?
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya Eggin-smurff,[p]Well, mine heated up rather quickly till about 140 then stablized there and slowed down a bit....so might not be as soon as you think ;-)...but soon enough![p]Regards,[p]Tish
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]Are you serious? Forty (!) minutes per pound? That'd be a 12 hour cook on a 20 pound bird. Please (!!) tell me you erred in your math . . . if not, they might want to extend Thanksgiving day by a few hours . . .[p];-)