Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I the only one NOT doing MM Turkey??

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I didn't even know I was MAKING a turkey until a day or so ago. Everything at my sister's house this year which is great since almost everyone there is really her side...her kids, her kids' kids, her kids' boyfriends, her kids' kids friends. I mean, there's just 3 of us. If we go there, they are happy with paper plates. If they come here, they expect crystal. Not gonna happen. So she is making the turkey and I'm supposed to just do something little like a salad. Then she announces she got a 12 lb turkey and maybe it won't be enough. Umm...for those vultures? So she hands me a $10 off on a Butterball coupon and here I am with a 13 lb Butterball. Only saving grace is that it was fresh, not frozen. Just gonna rub it a tad and stick it on over fruitwood and that will be that. NEXT year I'll do a MM just for us.[p]I did find a couple kind of interesting things. One is a pomegranate glaze for the turk:[p]1T cornstarch
1/3 c pomegranate juice
1/4 c honey
2T balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp cardamom[p]Dissolve cornstarch in some of the juice and get lumpless. Add everything else. Boil a minute. Glaze the turkey with about half of it when almost done. 10 minutes before "done" glaze with the rest. [p]Sounded like it would make a pretty turkey. A pair of earrings, some fishnet stockings, and she'll be ready to go.[p]Also making a Shitake-Apricot stuffing. I'll put out the recipe for that if it comes out ok. I'm not much of a stuffing person, but it had potential so thought I'd try.[p]Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all of you. Love you all.[p]mShark

Comments

• mollyshark,
    You are awesome! I think I would have thrown some deli turkey on a platter and called it dinner!![p]My parents bought my hubby and I a BGE for Christmas last year. We were kind of "expected" to make something on it this year if you know what I mean.... I just kind of stumbled on MM and his recipe! Definately give it a try!!!

• egginator
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Hmmmm, I think this has to do with the Iron Egg Fest that you won in OK. I saw the look in your eye that day and I think the idea was spawned right there... "first conquer the Iron Egg, then take over the MM turkey, AND THEN THE WORLD!!! Muhahahha."[p]Just a though.[p]Ed
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    I'm using John Ash brine and Mad Max's ice pack routine. Usually is excellent. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I am ashamed to admit that I am doing Montreal Steak Turkey Breast, lol! If I can find my bottle of Raisin' The Steaks (after this bloody remodel I can't find my own elbow) I might risk it! Unfortunately, I have a wife (yes, the wife who dropped two cell phones into porta johns in 8 days) who asks "why don't you do what you always do? Wasn't that good enough?" :-) I know! I'll use MS rub on one breast and RTS rub on the other! [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    mollyshark,
    After Jessie got ill last Thanksgiving we are doing a prime rib. I know the rest of the family will sure enjoy that!

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]I never got the herbs and used all the butter already so I'm not doing a Mad Max turkey either. I have a little wimpy 11 pounder and some brand new Dizzy Pig rubs so I'm thinking about cutting that baby up and grilling it like a bigass chicken. Anybody got any suggestions on which DP rubs I should use?[p]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    drbbq,[p]Do you have any of the Shakin' the Tree? That stuff is awesome on poultry! It's my favorite DP rub so far, but regular ol Dizzy Dust is darn good too. :)[p]Happy Thanksgiving!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    drbbq,
    I really like Ragging River on Turkey Ray...Hope you have a great Thanksgivig.
    Larry

• drbbq
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Yes I do. Shakin' The Tree it is. I'm saving the Raging River for some ribs.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    drbbq,[p]I stuck on Raging River under as much skin as I could, stuck a cut apple and a tangerine in what used to be its mouth, and just stuck it on a vrack on a drip pan. I generously split a Heineken with the turkey also. She seemed to enjoy it.[p]It looks lovely with the pomegranate glaze on it. Will see how it tastes with all that.[p]Had to do my experimental stuffing WITHOUT celery. Ali-the-pork, basset extraordinaire, catapulted herself into the air and made off with the celery. Ate the entire thing. Why a celery? Who knows. She would eat poison if it prevented someone else from getting it first. I threw in an extra leek instead. It's green.[p]mShark
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    drbbq,[p]hey Doc - how's it shakin.. heh heh.[p]A Happy Turkey Day to you and yours.
  • drbbq
    Options
    aka mr. Earl,[p]
    Thanks Mr. Earl and the same to you.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,
    I'm going against the tide and am using Tsunami Spin for my turkey (after spending an hour going through my notes); and putting onion + apple inside. I'm using a mixture of pecan, apple, and cherry pellets for smoke (thanks for the hint in your book).
    Happy Smokin'
    Bill

• scole
    scole Posts: 29
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Mine's cookin' on spit over charcoal pilgram style.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mollyshark,[p] My mother-in-law made the Turkey this year. I made a Celtic Wolf Ham. [p] Real Simple Glaze.[p]four cups of water.
    3 cups Brown Sugar
    1 1/2 cups of Molassas
    1/4 Honey
    Tsp of ground Cloves
    1 tbsp of Brown Mustard.[p]Put all the above in a space pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook till the mixture is somewhat thick. Cover a fully cooked ham with sauce and bake at 350 till center reaches 130. Cover with glaze again and bring to 140.[p]I used several small pieces of pecan in with the lump.[p]It was good!!

• GrillMeister
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Mrs. GrillMeister is doing the turkey the old fashioned way with my favorite 3 bread/apple/pecan stuffing. The aroma in the house is killing me. We worked together on it this morning and got the 23 pound bird in the oven around 10:30.[p]No egging this year, but plenty of turkey and homebrew![p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas