Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22# bird

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the biggest bird that I can fit on a large egg? I am used to doing 15# ones and my #@^& Mom in law brought a 22# one over from LA last night. [p]About how long @ 300F will it take to cook?

Comments

• RittmanRod
    Options
    HoustonEgger,
    Good Morning!, I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered on here, as long as you fit that baby into a pan, or onto the platesetter , it shou dccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

• tmEGGer
    Options
    HoustonEgger,[p]It will fit. I also have a 22# bird for my large.
    Platesetter legs down. Also, I put the thermometer clip on the outside of the egg to avoid having the probe pierce the bird. Good luck.

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya HoustonEgger,[p]I did two birds yesterday, both right about 14.5 lbs. Don't think a bigger bird would have fit, using the place setter. I did Mad Max's set up.[p]Here are the pics:[p]Good Luck,[p]Tish a.k.a bbbqdiva

[ul][li]http://bbqdiva.com/The_Diva_s_Hide_Away.php[/ul]
  • Walter
    Walter Posts: 67
    Options
    HoustonEgger,[p]Just put a 21#'r on the Large this morning. Platesetter (legs up) with a drip-pan and v-rack. Adjusted the dome thermometer to make sure it didn't puncture the bird. The wing tips may fall open and hit the dome, but it definitely fits.
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    HoustonEgger,
    I have a 24 pounder on right now. Got up at 5:00 a.m. this morning and had it on by 5:45.
    The wing tips are touching the top of the dome, not much I could figure out to do about that. [p]Platesetter with legs up, a trivet between the plate setter and the roasting pan - and the bird is sitting on a v-rack - cooking her using Mad Max recipe. [p]Chuck

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    HoustonEgger,
    three years ago I shoehorned a 25+ pounder in my large - I just had to pull out the dome thermometer when shutting the top and then gently reinserting so that I knew I wasn't impaling the the breast.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.