Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

22# bird

What is the biggest bird that I can fit on a large egg? I am used to doing 15# ones and my #@^& Mom in law brought a 22# one over from LA last night. [p]About how long @ 300F will it take to cook?
·

Comments

• HoustonEgger,
    Good Morning!, I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered on here, as long as you fit that baby into a pan, or onto the platesetter , it shou dccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

·
  • HoustonEgger,[p]It will fit. I also have a 22# bird for my large.
    Platesetter legs down. Also, I put the thermometer clip on the outside of the egg to avoid having the probe pierce the bird. Good luck.

·
  • bbqdivabbqdiva Posts: 192
    Heya HoustonEgger,[p]I did two birds yesterday, both right about 14.5 lbs. Don't think a bigger bird would have fit, using the place setter. I did Mad Max's set up.[p]Here are the pics:[p]Good Luck,[p]Tish a.k.a bbbqdiva

[ul][li]http://bbqdiva.com/The_Diva_s_Hide_Away.php[/ul]
    ·
  • WalterWalter Posts: 67
    HoustonEgger,[p]Just put a 21#'r on the Large this morning. Platesetter (legs up) with a drip-pan and v-rack. Adjusted the dome thermometer to make sure it didn't puncture the bird. The wing tips may fall open and hit the dome, but it definitely fits.
    ·
  • ChuckGGaChuckGGa Posts: 115
    HoustonEgger,
    I have a 24 pounder on right now. Got up at 5:00 a.m. this morning and had it on by 5:45.
    The wing tips are touching the top of the dome, not much I could figure out to do about that. [p]Platesetter with legs up, a trivet between the plate setter and the roasting pan - and the bird is sitting on a v-rack - cooking her using Mad Max recipe. [p]Chuck

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,604
    HoustonEgger,
    three years ago I shoehorned a 25+ pounder in my large - I just had to pull out the dome thermometer when shutting the top and then gently reinserting so that I knew I wasn't impaling the the breast.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·