Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting fire

Options
RittmanRod
RittmanRod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well here we go, starting with legs up on the plate setter and lump is full seems to be kinda slow starting, hope its not choking out fire, hoping to stabilize at 350 for about an hour before Tom goes on.

Comments

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    temp is goofy, finally got it stable at 300, Lump had alot of small pieces.

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    well got the temp to stay at a steady 325 ish for a good hr, so the bird just went on, iced the breast, and I don't know if this is common knowledge already but I flattened out to sticks of butter, the size of the breast earlier tonight and put them in the freezer, good and hard pushed nicely under the skin worked better than chunks/pats, made a nice little breast plate of butter coated them with poultry spices and filled inside of bird with onion and apples quartered,about a half gallon of cider and some fresh sage and rosemary, temp on the dome currently at 300, top has about a 1/4" and bottom about 2 1/2-3".
    also have another pan with a gallon of apple juice directly on the plate setter under grid bird is on v rack in another pan.
    If no one cares, at least I have a record of what I did, LOL.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    mmmm, only about 275 now, have the top about 1/2" moved bottom alittle bit more to close to 3", wish it was back up to 300 or a tad more, ..............

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    wow still awake, lol, well just basted, pan on platesetter had dried up and was starting to smoke quite abit, added water, hope the burning apple juice doesn't mess up bird, temp still has me nervous bout 280, prob in thigh says 131, color looks nice.

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    Rotated bird, and basted again, dome still around 280, poker going so, so, lol, will have to stop drinking at some point this morning, lol.

• Essex County
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    I like the idea of making a frozen butter brassiere for the turkey. It will slow down the breast cook a little longer and baste. Wish I'd read that tip earlier. Bird 1 (20 lbs) went on the egg at 7:52. Bird 2 (22 lbs) went in the oven about 10 minutes later.
    Paul

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    Well conked out sometime around 6:30, wife just kicked me awake, lol, temp on the dome is holding steady at bout 285 ish, and probe says Toms BP is 169, Basted again, if I hit 180 soon I guess Il have to try the cooler system we talked about earlier in the week.

• RittmanRod,
    Nobody else may have enjoyed this account, I certainly did ;)

• RittmanRod
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    Just got to 180! :-), we're not eating till 1:15pm, , guess I started too early. looks pretty[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]

• RittmanRod,
    that ice bra is a great idea![p]thanks!