Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where is Cat???

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone???? I think about her each Turkey Day. Her brine is insane good....[p]Hope she is well.....
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Wardster,
    The last post I recall was right after 9-11 and she was letting us know she was alive and well in spite of being close by. Then she went on to say she was involved in openning of a new restaruant as either a part owner or as the main guru of it and would be very busy.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wardster,
    Cat is well, but she is as busy as anyone can be. I have not spoken with her in months, but she sounds the same...just no time for hangin out with us anymore :-([p]I think of her a lot also. Anyone looking for new things to try, any recipe in the archives with Cathy Loupe's name (or Cat) is worth trying. Her meatloaf is righteous! Best when she cooks it, but the recipes are all excellent.[p]Beers Wardster. Hey, I like this Jason Campbell fellow, but the coaching of the Redskins leaves sumthin to be desired. Never thought I'd say that with Gibbs in charge!
    Beers dewd.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Wardster, [p]Mr. Toad has been in contact with her. Maybe he'll chime in.[p]I'd love to know how she's doing her bird this year.[p]JCA[p]

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Found this in the archives, does it help anyone?[p]Turkey, Butterflied W/Mushroom Stuffing, Cat
    [p]Ingredients:
    1 turkey (12-15 lbs.) with no rips or tears in the skin, brined overnight*
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 lb fresh white mushrooms, minced (by hand, or pulsed in processor)
    1/4 cup heavy cream (approximate)
    2 oz dried porcini mushrooms (optional), soaked in warm water until soft
    1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs approximate)
    6 oz sweet butter
    thyme or other fresh herbs, minced (optional)
    lemon juice & grated nutmeg to taste (optional)
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 large onion, minced
    olive oil
    1 lb fresh ricotta cheese

Preparation Directions:
    1 Make stuffing: Melt 4 oz. butter in large skillet and saute mushrooms over high heat until they give up their liquid and cook dry. (Add optional porcini - drained, squeezed dry, & minced - when mushrooms start to brown.) Season with salt & pepper plus a squeeze of lemon & a bit of nutmeg if desired. Cool & chill. Can be made ahead & frozen.
    2 Melt the remaining 2 oz. butter and saute onion slowly until golden. Salt & pepper. Cool and chill.
    3 In large bowl, blend mushrooms, onions & ricotta well. Add enough parmesan to bring to a firm consistency. A little heavy cream & a handful or two of breadcrumbs will help bind stuffing. Add herbs, salt & pepper to taste. Chill very well.**
    4 Rinse & dry the turkey well. With a sharp knife or poultry shears, cut it down the backbone. Spread it out, breast up, & whack it with the flat of your hand to flatten it. I cut out the wishbone for easier carving later.
    5 Loosen the skin from the flesh along legs, thighs & breast. This is easy to do if the skin is not torn. If you do tear it, it can be patched with needle and thread.
    6 Stuff the bird: use one hand to lift the skin and other to push handfuls of stuffing underneath. Coat the legs & thighs well first, using your clean hand to mold & force stuffing into place. Then coat the breast.
    7 Fold the neck skin flap under the bird. Anchor by folding the wing tips back & under.
    8 Rub the exterior with olive oil, then season with salt & pepper. The bird can be stuffed the night before cooking and refrigerated; the meat picks up even more flavor this way.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Roast over a water-filled drip pan at a dome temp of about 325. Smoke is optional; I like apple & pecan. Figure roughly 15 minutes per pound & take the bird off when the breast meat reaches 160 degrees.
    2 Let it rest 30 minutes before carving. No gravy needed.
    Special Instructions:
    1 *Brine: 1 cup each kosher salt & sugar to 1 gallon water. Chill brine well before adding turkey.
    2 **Stuffing can be made several days ahead & refrigerated. I've even frozen it for months with no significant loss in flavor; if you do this, add some fresh herbs & a little lemon juice after it's defrosted.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Cathy Loup celoup@ix.netcom.com[p]Source: BGE Forum, Cat

• Wardster
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the update.[p]I dunno what to say either. I was at the game and still can't explain it. The kid looked good. Maybe he will get the ball downfield more. It's all we can do. I'm still not ready to point a finger a Senior Gibbs!!!! I really hope I never have too!!!!!!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Options
    Richard,
    Thanks Richard. I was just asking how and where she was. I have her brine recipe in my special box.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Oh you're all making me blush. The dear Toad and Julie told me my name came up, so I wandered over to say hello. Thanks for thinking of me! [p]My turkey is a heritage bird with great flavor, so I'm keeping the prep simple: butterflied, a little seasoned butter (garlic & herbs) under the breast skin, lots of butter/salt/pepper outside, roasted at about 325 degrees - plate setter on the grid, racked roasting pan on that - with apple and pecan for smoke. [p]Plus too many fiddly side dishes that will take way too much time to make. ;-}[p]Happy Thanksgiving and happy Egging, everyone![p]Best...Cat

• Wardster
    Options
    Cat,
    THERE SHE IS!!! Nice to see you again kido!!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Nice to see you too, bud.

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    Cat,[p]Oh my gawd, it's you!!! A holiday treat just to see you posting again.